Monday, November 26, 2007

My Victory Lap

Please forgive me in advance.... I am going to take a victory lap. Because tonight I opened up my bike box, which was sealed on November 4th as I rolled it onto an airplane after Ironman Florida. A day that held many great things for me.


My fourth Ironman. My first sub elven finish. My first Ironman that was not Ironman Lake Placid. The second Ironman in a year. The second time I crossed the finish line feeling that feeling of... I have more to give to this race.

The day I laid doubt to rest.

My race bags still had sand in them. My Ironman Florida cap still has saltwater inside of it. My wetsuit still smelled of the ocean.

I remember reading one of Elizabeth's race reports. I think the title was something to the effect of.... The race is won in your head..... and never before did it ring so absolutely true for me. Before race day Jen sent me an email and all I remember it saying was BELIEVE.

And believe..... I did.

Since my injury in 2005 I was full of doubt and my 70.3 results showed that. When I teamed up with Coach T in August he helped me find so much more than pace. He helped me see a lot more clearly, just how in my own way I truly was. It was nothing physical except learning pace and not trying to reach for a pace I was not ready for.
He took care of the training. It was up to me to clear the space between my ears and that I did.

As I assembled my bike tonight and mounted it on my computrainer.... I felt like a breeze of Florida air was washing over me, and with it excitement spread through me.

As I picked up my cap and goggles that still had remnants of the day on them, I was full of memories. Funny ones.

Did I ever mention that there was a big rip in my wetsuit that morning? It made me laugh. Did I mention that I have never seen so many lines as I did at IMFL? I waited in line with Jen and Jerome for a long time.... for... now I forget what we waited for. The merchandise tent perhaps? When we found out if was another 90 minute wait to get to the register we bagged it. And then we waited for something else. Of which I really don't remember!

Did I mention that there were girls dressed in S&M gear on the run? They were handing out beer. They were funny.

Did I mention that nearly everyone out there wore Pipi Long stocking socks? They looked hilarious.

Did I mention that I passed Amanda Lovato somewhere on the run? And I will say it was not a good feeling to pass Amada Lovato, she was having a really rough day. It never feels good to pass someone who is suffering but she cheered me on. I was grateful to see a professional woman walking, aiming to finish, and still cheering others on. Did I mention Amanda Lovato has a hell of a lot of class?

Did I mention I launched my spare tubular? In retrospect I was glad I didn't go back. I only broke 11 hours by 61 seconds and that would have been it.

Did I mention how hard I worked for this day? I put in a lot of hours at Ironman pace. When training that doesn't seem so fast but at 20 hours per week after you have just done Ironman Lake Placid... it took a lot of focus. When no one was willing to ride long, and I was up on the parkway alone.

This season I achieved all of my goals. The last one... breaking the 11 hour barrier was the most important. I have more to give to this race and I will say it out loud.... I will aim for sub 11 at IMLP this year. Given the right day, and the stars aligning..... I believe I have a shot.

I might be a little shot at it in Placid, but I will be the littlest shot with the biggest smile and the biggest heart. Because it will be my last Ironman... for a while.

One last run around the track, the victory lap. Tomorrow morning the silver bracelet is removed and I continue through one more week of active recovery. Come Monday it will be December and I have a lot of work to do. Taking aim at a dream is my goal.

And now that doubt has been laid to rest, the dragon has been slain. Going forward there is only opportunity, and I am going to be right there to greet it.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary




No comments: