Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tis the Season

"Medium black coffee please" I responded to Keith at Tim Horton's. I know Keith by his voice. He's a college kid and he's got a voice for radio... that's for sure. As I pulled to the pick up window I secretly hoped, and I was happily surprised but not surprised..... because you know when Christmas is coming. everyone pulls out their holiday coffee cups.


Yesterday I noticed it first at Starbucks. This morning Tim Horton's. And tonight I will slide through Dunkin Donuts on my way to work.

What's a nurse without coffee?


It's peanut butter without jelly.


You just can't have one without the other.


And so it brings the best time of the year. It's almost Christmas. The 2 months of the year when people are nicer to one another. When you say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or explain that Hanukkah has a silent C. I don't give a rat's ass what religious sector you belong to, I will be saying all three of those sayings. Because the meaning of the words goes far beyond the restrictions of religion.


It's that time of year when people go nutty with Christmas decorations. And here I have a confession to make, well.... for my husband. My husband is a great Christmas decorator. He loves those little houses.... he creates a little Christmas village on the mantle. Well last year we just left it up! It's almost all ready for this year's display and no extra work. What's wrong with a little more holiday cheer all year long?

Yesterday Luc and I spent 90 minutes blowing leaves in the front yard. I should say around the front yard. His eyes lit up as the leaves swirled though the air, a rainbow of colors. And Mr. I am still limping from my broken leg..... even dared to climb high enough into a tree to shake the branch so more leaves would fall.

By Friday we are scheduled to have snow. Which means sledding. And Snowboarding, and Mr. I am still limping from my broken leg will be learning to ice skate. Triathletes on skates is always interesting. Just remember that when you fall keep your arms tucked. Don't extend that arm!!!



And then the greatest event of all.... Christmas. When my entire family converges at my parent's house, where we will have matching pajamas waiting for us. From oldest to youngest we receive a hand made embroidered pair of matching pajamas. And we have to wear them. My sister and brother in law from Paris, my brother and sister in law and kiddos from Georgia.... the infallible Aunt Marilyn.... Curt myself and Lucster..... it's a grand time for sure. We play very bad pool and search for bowling alleys to be open on Christmas Eve. Amy and Yann will celebrate their wedding PART FOUR (UGH!).


And in the meantime I have traded my time trial bike in for the mountain bike. for just a little while. I shall ride through the piles of leaves on the trails.... hop on a few mountain bike paths, hope not to break anything but enjoy the thrill of the climb.


Humpty Dumpty and I will meet once again and I shall meet him not with fear but with respect. But if you should hear a very loud F Bomb as someone is descending the madness.... it couldn't be me. But this time I shall not reach out and hug the tree as the trail turns. I shall now allow the bike to veer right as I wrap myself around the tree. I shall allow the path to take me any which way it wants to go.


Just don't spill my Tim Horton's coffee in the Holiday Cup!


Thanks for stopping by.



:-) mary

1 comment:

Dances with Corgis said...

that's cool that you're out on the mountain bike. and very cute about curt liking to decorate for christmas! it's the sensitive side of curt eggers :)