Monday, November 12, 2007

Freezeoo!

It's absolutely amazing that within one week you can go from feeling like the fittest person on earth to the fattest person on earth. But that's what the Ironman buys you. Not that I am complaining.... in fact this is the best Ironman recovery I have ever had. After you've done so many though, shouldn't the recovery be better?

This week I hop into active recovery for a few weeks. Next week will bring some structure and then beyond that I shall transition slowly into a full on running block. The cycling and swimming will be present but the ever present focus will be on running.

I have even entered the Freezeroo series. It's a winter running series 'round here. And you can expect the hills and the wind and the snow to be alive and pulsing.

There is one thing I like less than a duathlon... winter road racing.

I run outside in the winter. I never run on a treadmill. I will run in a blizzard. But race in one? OH Gawd! Coach T recommends it and I do what Coach T says. I am a good student, I am a coachable athlete. Ask me to jump and I will say how high.

Because come July I will be lining up for my fifth and final Ironman for a bit. Not forever, I love this damn race too much. I like to come and go from the Ironman. I took a four year break the last time and the next one could be longer.... or shorter.

When I line up in the mosh pit of a swim at Ironman Lake Placid I want to know I have done everything that I could to go sub eleven. Everything. From running to diet to race day nutrition. I want no avenues left unexplored, no "what if's" to be laying around.

I want to feel like I did at the starting line of Ironman Florida. I want to feel like I did at the finish line of Ironman Florida. 100% present. 100% ready.

So if this means Freezerooing my butt off, then I will take it. If it means slip sliding through the hills of Powder Mills Park during the Hearnish 10K.... if it means cursing Bill Hearne for a LONG 10K..... then bring it on.

Tomorrow I get to do a 15 minute run after a mountain bike session. And I can't wait.

:-) mary

No comments: