Thursday, November 8, 2007

Girl On Your Left

This was just put up on Slowtwitch;

It is my sad responsibility to be the messenger of unhappy news I never, ever thought I would send. Dorothy Barnett-Griffin, wife, mother of three, sister, daughter, philanthropist, athlete, friend to hundreds and more of an Ironwoman then all the Ironmen I have ever known, passed from this frail existence today November 8, 2007. Dorothy will be missed. She was a punctilious pink presence everywhere she went. She opened her heart and her home and her purse to so many. She was a woman of opinions clearly stated and a wit and wisdom equally measured out in ample doses to lift or lead others as needed. She was a magnificent woman. She was intolerant of fools and incompetence but had a heart so big that she became the epitome to many of faith and hope and charity – but like Paul writing to the Corinthians, charity was her greatest quest. As a result of losing her first husband to a sudden tragic death, she became familiar with and then a huge supporter of the Journey of Hope Grief Support Center in Plano. In fact she was racing in the Ironman to race funds for this organization. (For more information see http://www.johgriefsupport.org/founders.htm) We honor best not with flowers and cards and well-used expressions of sympathy but by imitating and emulating the worthy life of another. You could do far worse than to follow the admonishment to go and try to be like Dorothy. Be "Dorothy-Strong!" On her way into Heaven I can hear her saying as she speedily passes dawdling others shuffling slowly along - just like she did in many a race: "Girl on your left." We are diminished greatly by her leaving, we are all magnified for having had her in our lives. Farewell Dorothy. Please pray for Mike and Dorothy's kids.

To you Dorothy, a woman I never met yet I will never forget, I raise my water bottle and I toast my Gatorade to you. In honor of you my unknown friend, each time I pass I shall say "Girl on your left."

Like the post asks, please pray for her children.

:-) Mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary for your tribute. I am Mikes sister and we appreciate your prayers...he is my rock and gibraltar and even though we are grieving - HE HAS LOST HIS BEST FRIEND...the LOVE OF HIS LIFE! so, thank you for your act of kindness!