Friday, September 4, 2009

breaking through

It's been a breakthrough kind of week. But these need to also shine through on race day, not just in training. While the work is done and the progress is made on these solo adventures...... where they really count is on the day of the race. So I am very cautiously optimistic.

I share this because maybe you've been there. I have' I have been in this sport for 12 years. I didn't just arrive here with this insane talent and make everybody ask... who is that?

I started at the bottom. I worked my way to the top. I fell off the top. A bunch of times. I worked my way back up. I fell off again. I am again climbing up. We all posses our own definition of "the top". Every success I have ever had in this sport has never come by luck.... as with you..... it is with an incredible amount of work.

I share this for every athlete who has ever wondered.... am I over.... have I seen my best days..... I used to be able to nail this distance now I am 20-30-40 minutes off..... I share this with those who have ever looked in the mirror and wondered if they are really just a shadow of the athlete that they used to be......

Because there is such thing as a comeback. I am demonstrating that for you. I want to share that with you. Where there are highs there are lows. It works both ways. Perhaps the most beautiful thing.... as I have found on this journey back..... is the rediscovery of strength, both physical and mental. The rediscovery of a sport that I have never stopped loving. Even through the hardest times..... even last summer when I did not know my name and couldn't stay off the ground..... I loved it just as much. It calls me and pulls me in. No matter what.

I set out yesterday morning to complete the workout I affectionately call "The seven hills of hell." All of us at QT2 know this workout and we all do this workout. There's no magic, these are hill repeats. Today I had seven of them. The last time we cycled through this block I ran the following times for my hill (now.... these times will mean nothing to you..... but hang on).

1. 1:28
2. 1:27
3. 1:25
4. 1:25
5. 1:25
6. 1:29
7. 1:25

That was June 24th. I run the same hill, same marked start, same marked finish. 2 signs. We have repeatability in our workouts. It's how we measure progress. Those signs have not moved. Before I set out on the workout I did not review the previous times. I like a clean slate.

This time around they didn't feel so..... hard. The hill didn't seem as steep. seven of them didn't seem so darn impossible. When I returned home I recorded the times and then I compared:

1. 1:22
2. 1:22
3. 1:21
4. 1:17
5. 1:16
6. 1:16
7. 1:15

I smiled. During the repeats I thought like a runner. I focused my eyes on the top of the hill and my form was spot on. I kept my head clear and on the way down I reminded myself that I am in fact a runner. I compared the times and I gasped. An email to coach right away. I showed my husband. And then my inner voice kicked in..... don't get ahead of yourself.....let's see how things happen on race day.

Not too long afterwards I hopped on my bike for a tempo session that included 2 X 30 min efforts. I held them, held my numbers, kept my head clear. When you ride 30 min in tempo on the trainer a lot can happen in your head. I put the music on and I put my head down. Embarrassingly my most motivating tunes were those of Kelly Clarkson (please don't repeat that). 30 minutes ..... 5 recover..... 30 minutes..... 5 recover.

My legs feel good. A little tired but that's the silver lining on the effort. Give me a little bit of soreness to remember that I accomplished Thursday morning. Pushing past my own limits, my own beliefs.

As I look ahead to next weekend right now I don't have a clue what it brings. By Monday I will know. It's quantitative' Qualitative. It's already been decided. The plan will be in my hands in detail and I will be ready to execute it. Two hundred and ten percent ready.

I get to race with my team for the first time. AS a QT2 Member, as part of a QT2 Contingent. My husband and son will be there (that means everything to me) and The Wizard will be there to coach and watch his team.

I know my best days still lie before me.

I am confident in nutrition. I am confident in pace. And as of this very minute I am 800% confident that this truly is the beginning. Just as the Wizard says.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing improvement!! I'm so inspired by your words, Mary!! (And nothing wrong with Kelly Clarkson, every now and then!)

Unknown said...

Physically, that talent has always been there; you just needed the right coach to set your mind free. Amazing job Coach Egg!

Roweramo said...

dang, lady! that post was super inspiring to me... thanks :)

Damie said...

awesome to hear this. through age and injury, i wonder if i never had a chance to do what i wanted to do. too old....too broken down. this was a happy post for me to read. keep at it girl!

Damie said...

awesome to hear this. through age and injury, i wonder if i never had a chance to do what i wanted to do. too old....too broken down. this was a happy post for me to read. keep at it girl!

Ryan said...

Alright, you have Kelly Clarkson and I have.....


George Michael.

There you have it...I'm apparently a man lover...Hmm, who knew?