Sunday, September 27, 2009

last man standing

It's inevitable.... this feeling..... the summer races are over, the nights are dark way too early and then that one morning comes when you realize that you will have to wear gloves on your long run. Those of us who have late fall races as I have chosen to have each year know that feeling. Our teammates are snug in their off-season on their mountain bikes and cross bikes and we are out there riding long.

Funny though.... this year I am so damn grateful for it and to be in good health that the loneliness factor does not bother me at all. Fortunately for me my husband is racing IMAZ, just a week after Clearwater so we both maintain our focus.

We have a terrific balancing act and a beautiful system for getting our workouts in with being working parents. On Saturdays I ride long in the afternoon, he runs long in the morning. On Sunday's I run long in the morning and he rides long in the afternoon. Each day we regroup for family time. We each then get a nice chunk of time with our little guy. And we do some wicked fun stuff together. During the week we do our workouts in the mornings mostly so we can have the evenings free for Luc's activities. Many mornings I get to ride next to Curt on the computrainer, gives me a little camaraderie.

It works for us. My schedule is slightly revolving so I am able to do a lot of training while luc is in school. I am also able to do a lot of working from home (coaching) and studying during those hours as well.

There is a balance to life and you just have to find it.

So this morning I look out the window to the rainy darkness not dreading the gloves or the headlamp I will have to wear. I instead look forward to the opportunity to run and to run long. I am working on some form items during my run as Jesse had the privilege to see me run at Pumpkinman. (HA HA!).

In December I head to Boston for a complete running analysis and a big batch of testing as we prepare for 2010. We have big goals for next season and I have confidence as I look at those performance indicators that we will hit those goals.

First we have Clearwater and I grow more excited each and every day. One of my Friends keeps claiming to be nervous. Aren't' I? No, that's what's neat about the Wizard..... I already know what my time will be. As long as I hit everything I need to hit between now and then I know what my time will be. For once I am not nervous about nutrition as I practice it every single day.

Heading into the month of October I have just gone ahead and pulled out the hat and the winter gear. Beginning the week after next I have a three week overload running focus and I will be needing this gear..... it's damn cold outside in the morning.

But I get to do this, I am healthy, I have come a long long way, and I look forward to the party that Clearwater will be! Drafting or not it will be a party!

1 comment:

Kim said...

you better call me when you get to boston :)