Thursday, September 3, 2009

easy days easy

Yesterday I spent the day at the beach with Luc and a friend from high school and her kids. How great was it to catch up. Her kids were great.... especially the six month old I got to hold and who smiled and giggled.....

I got good sleep the night before.....I got in my swim set, my recovery ride and recovery run..... and I made very sure that I did those 2 in recovery zones. The easy days MUST be easy because today is..... hard.

Curt can get up and within 15 minutes be on the trainer. I need about an hour. I need to eat my breakfast, collect my thoughts, have a cup of coffee. I have this coffee chair that I sit in and I drink a good cup of coffee, I write. It's just how I begin my day. I write for myself, and often I forget that so many people stop by for a read. I appreciate you sharing a bit of time with me. I always think that if there's something that I can say that you can identify with, then I am happy. Before I had this blog people used to think I trained all day long. Truth be told I am just another working Mom, trying to balance the world on my finger. Some people write for hits, some people write for comments...... I write because it helps me start my day. It makes me smile if you stop me next time we meet and say "It's good to know I'm not the only one". Because I can assure you..... you are not.


I'm heading into the last 2 insane days of my summer. These are the last 2 days that begin at 4am and end at 1am. I have a hill run this morning and a tempo ride on the trainer. By 8am I will be back in full Mom mode. I am even going to surprise Luc with lunch at Ben and Jerry's today. Yes, lunch (him, not me!). Every kid deserves a day where you have ice cream for lunch. (He will order something outrageous and eat about half of it. But the intention will be there).

I felt disheartened when as we came home yesterday there was a big envelope awaiting. Teacher, classroom, bus. Bummer. Bummer. Bummer Bummer. I want a few more weeks of this all day beach going stuff. Luc's been in summer school until 3 weeks ago and we've just gotten started. I will take sleep deprivation any day to hang out at the beach all day long.

As I said the workouts yesterday were easy. I made them easy like it was my job. The seven hills of hell await me. 2 X 30 minutes tempo await me.

These days I see that athletes are better at making the easy days easy and the hard days hard. While some coaches still throw athletes against the wall like eggs, hoping they won't break but watching a few smash...... I think both coaches and athletes are better at realizing that each day has a purpose.

I'm going to sit here a little bit longer. I have time. My husband is so insanely awesome about giving me this morning time. He knows I am full throttle until 1am on Saturday. It's easy street after that. It's back to sleep, back to some normalcy and back to the push.

But I wouldn't trade this for anything!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know, with all the craziness of Luc's schools in the past, the fact that class, teacher and bus showed up in the mail box without drama is awesome! I can't believe how much Luc has grown!!!

And an hour to get ready even though you never brush your hair :)