Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pumpinman 1/2 Ironman Race Report

I broke the curse. The 5 hour curse. It might have been a long run course and a shorter swim course (although I was told that swim course was GPS'd perfectly) they balance each other out. The last time I went under five hours was then I won the Musselman in 2004. For so many weird reasons the times that once came so easily to be (sub five) suddenly became impossible.

I began coaching my self last fall and that proved to be futile as I earned a horrific 5:25 in April at New Orleans 70.3 on a flat course. Sure I was sick with the flu but I was beginning to really really really lose faith.

When I arrived home from New Orleans I knew I needed a big change. A very big change. Here I sat with a World Championship 70.3 spot and there I was with another disaster race under my belt. It was decision time. Do I continue to waste the ability I knew I had or was it time to finally see what I have?

I wrote four emails to four different coaches. All whom in my opinion were the leaders in our sport. One was $1,000 per month for a cookie cutter program. Two were booked. The last one was from Jesse Korpelnicki of QT2 Systems and he wrote me this:

"I can help you."

SOLD.

I came to Pumpkinman for several reasons. I wanted to race with my team in a late season half ironman, and I wanted a course that wasn't hellacious. I raced Musselman in 5:08 in July as my first race under Coach Jesse who is aptly nicknamed The Wizard. We did well, hitting all pacing and nutrition targets.

The craziest thing about The Wizard is that he's never more than 2% off predicting your finish time. There are four reasons why he would be wrong, or how you screw it up. Pacing, nutrition, preparation ...... and at the moment I forget the fourth one.

As the Wizard would say it..... there is no magic.

The swim was a 2 loop course and my wave went off about 1 minute behind the pro men and women. As I watched them swim away I wondered it I could catch them. I did catch them and was able to pull ahead of the group of pro women. As we ran onto the beach and back into the water for loop two..... I called over to one.... jump on my FEET! I never care if people draft me on the swim. Draft away. As we hit lap two they swam to the right.

As I excited the water it was announced that the first female (ME!) was an age grouper who had bridged the gap. We had a G.I.A.N.T.... and I mean GIANT hill to run up so I ripped off my wetsuit and started the trek up that bastard hill.

Into and out of transition with the QT2 Team cheering! That was such an incredible treat! The team.... they are the best group of people. I felt so honored to be wearing the uniform!

Onto the bike I felt good. This course was similar to the Musselman, possibly a bit hillier. I had pace + heart rate + nutrition goals to follow and I was able to do that. I felt very in control, in fact I was able to maintain my speed while riding a bit under wattage and HR, so to be conservative I did just that. Rolling into T2 I felt great. I could have rode harder and that was exactly where we wanted me to be. The top three professional women had passed me on the ride, and I kept #3 in my sights.

Through T2 I got cheered by the QT2 girls again (the guys and I were racing......), as I ran out Cait Snow was on her trainer (she's one of the QT2 coaches and my running H.E.R.O.) and gave me a great big cheer. Curt and Luc were handing out water..... and that was an amazing BOOST!

Again I could not get my Garmin to locate. Later I found out that no one else could either. It was our location. The miles were not marked until about mile 8 that I noticed. So I was truly running naked. Okay, I thought, I need to become less dependent on the Garmin and find that run feeling like I can find on the bike. I felt good, I was running too fast, I knew that from my breathing, so I tried to reign myself in as much as I could without it being too much.

Last year this run was actually 12.4. Halfway through the run I realized they had corrected it...... and later found out it was 13.3.

I will not be denied today from a sub five performance, I told myself. I knew I had maintained my position as first amateur woman and I was not about to give that up.

The run was friggin hilly. You were either up or down, I don't remember any FLAT section. There were four water stations on the course so I wore my fuel belt with 2 flasks. Nutrition was not at all an issue.

I ran what I hoped was my goal pace and when I finally saw the mile markers I began to time. I was a little slow on the pace, but better..... so I picked it up. It was a 2 loop course and I saw a QT2 uniform coming at me..... it was pro (and QT2 coach) Tim Snow and he was screaming something at me. It took me two screams to realize he was screaming EGGERS! Which made me begin to laugh. Coach Jesse ran by looking strong and later on told me I would be coming to Boston for a run analysis right after Clearwater (YES! and what, my run form sucks????? HA HA!). The QT2 guys all looked wicked strong.

The hills kept coming and I stayed on plan. As I finally came down that run chute I saw it. 4:54!!!!! OMG! OMG!!!! I was the first amateur female, 4th female in the whole mix, and I was over the moon.

I got to meet TriGirlPink! (ELAINE) who I was so proud of. When we hugged after the race I felt like we were old friends. I was proud of her for getting out there on limited running volume and looking so good (even though she didn't think so).

I hugged Curt really tight and I cried out THE FIVE HOUR CURSE IS OVER!!!!

Because it is.

After the race I got to hang out with the QT2 gang, and get to know them. The Wizard was happy with my performance. I have only been working with him 13 weeks and we've already had some big improvements. From N'Orleans to Musselman we earned a 17 minute improvement. From Musselman to Pumpkinman we earned a 14 minute improvement. He announced my Clearwater finishing time and I about fell over. He reiterated my 2010 goals and said..... this is serious Mary! And I can't be more excited.

For having the fastest swim time among females I won a wetsuit! For earning the amateur title I won gift certificates and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, that Elaine's sister designed. I got to meet her too!

About the race.... it was amazing. Absolutely amazing. The course was damn challenging.

About my race..... we are right on target. I am very happy. My run..... has yet to be displayed. We have more work to do and we are getting there. I have only about 6 more pounds to lose and we will be right where we need to be for Clearwater.

I am very very honored to be part of this team, to have the opportunity to work with Jesse and his amazing staff. I often wonder if he realizes the magnitude of gratitude that many of his athletes feel for his coaching. It was so apparent at the post race feast. I am delighted with my progress in 13 short weeks and I can't wait to begin focusing on Clearwater.

Which is tomorrow. No rest for the wicked.

Congrats also to Curt, my awesome husband who took home honors for first amateur male at the sprint yesterday! Team Egg cleaned up.

Pictures to come, but please please accept my heartfelt thanks for the many texts and emails and voice mails. They mean so very much.

You know that versus commercial...... that I posed a while back...... there is a line in there that starts as..... "Every come from behind under dog KNOWS......." I replayed that speech over and over in my head as I raced. At the start I told myself I would not be denied a sub five hour finish. It was time to break the curse.

Now, my coach.... he already knew that it would be broken.

We have much work to do, we have another time drop to make between now and November.

Thank you to Coach Jesse, for taking me on.... and over the past 13 weeks helping me find my way again. Thanks also to Chrissie (Jesse's wife) Cait, Tim, Michelle, Mikalea, Jay, Mark, and to all my other absolutely amazing teammates on QT2.

Thanks also to my awesome teammates on train-This. Mike C. was also at Pumpkinman and earned a 4:47 in his first ever half! We had a group at various races all over the place today and I have to say that you guys are my R.O.C.K.S. Especially you guys Ken and Kim. Especially you guys!!!!

Thanks so much for reading, I will post pictures when we get home tomorrow night.

The curse is BROKEN!

16 comments:

Marit C-L said...

BRAVO!!!! You - Mary Eggers - are incredible! :)

Congratulations!

Trigirlpink said...

You are the Kitty Cat's MEOW sista. Sorry we didn't get to have turkey dinner together. :-(

Congrats on CLEANING UP! Soooooo worth the trip, huh???? And thanks for reminding me it was FREAKIN' hilly and not an ez course. I was FOAMING at the mouth!!!!!
xxx

Colleen S said...

Congrats Mary-- you have earned it! I Can't wait to hear about the rest of your season and know you are gonna ROCK Clearwater!

Unknown said...

That is amazing, Mary!! Congrats!!!

cheryl said...

Mary - I've been reading your blog for a while. Congratulations, your journey has been so inspiring!

Kim said...

YAY MARY!! things are falling into place and i couldnt be happier for you! i talked to my QT2 pal jay munnis who said the run course was absolutely BRUTAL. way to hang in there - you are amazing!

Unknown said...

The Egg is back! Awesome job!!!

Laura said...

Congratulations Mary! Way to rock!!! :)

PJ said...

I am so happy for you! You totally KILLED IT! Love it when hard work and determination (and good coaching) pays off. Congrats, Mary!

Ange said...

excellent job!!! Congrats!!!

Beth said...

Sooo happy for you! A big smile spread across my face as I was looking up the results and saw you under 5 hours. ;) Congrats!!

Kevin said...

What, you couldn't break 1:50 on the run?
Congrats Mary, well done!

BriGaal said...

Congratulations!! Fantastic race!

Karen Wilson said...

Awesome Mary! Congratulations on a well earned victory! You totally rock :)

kerrie said...

that is an awesome race report! i am so inspired by your positive attitude - mind over matter!!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great job on the race! I love that you came back from a frustrating year and are making the most of it.... YOu will do great in clearwater!