Monday, September 28, 2009

what's to come

In my (other) line of work I get to see some of the craziest things. You just would not believe how people act and what is considered to be normal in certain circles of the world. When I had a patient tell me that Chlamydia runs in her family ..... I shook my head and thought..... this ain't the worst thing I've seen. Nothing beats the baby (of a teenager..... remember I'm a pediatric emergency nurse.....) I delivered in the bathroom a few years ago three minutes after she screamed at me "I had my period last week B****!" Well.... now you're a mother, welcome to the world of motherhood...... your child is so lucky!!!!

Ahhhh..... family values.

As I woke up from my sole night shift per week post call sleep I took a good hard look at the week I have ahead of me. I tend to not look past Sunday although I ave the histogram right in front of me at all times. Believe me that I have learned to not look much further than today. I wiped the sleep from my eyes really good because I know what's on deck.

Speedwork! And a good 18 hours of it. 'Kay then, let's see how this rolls. I have never done this theme of speedwork, I like it. I am a bit intimidated by it of course! Confession: I think I have not run on a track since 1992. And now I am headed back. My legs have recovered from three good solid tempo days and my running is coming along runningly. I am excited. I am jazzed.

This afternoon at Wegmans I picked up a bag of mallow creme pumpkins and put it in my cart. These are my Achilles heel. My kryptonite. I promptly put them back only to circle back for them on the way to checkout.

As I was leaving the store I threw them out and texted Kim to confess.

No.... a mallow creme pumpkin isn't going to ruin anything. But I have the inability to eat ONE. So if one of you doesn't mind please pick me up a bag of these and after I cross that finish line in Clearwater I will be eating them. All of them. And they will taste so good because I have been so good!

It's not about letting myself go and letting myself be loose. For me it's sticking to this goal that I set and if I have the darn pumpkin I see that as a crack in my armor. To you something like that might not mean anything. But to me..... it does. Thank the ten years of Bulimia I put myself through for that.

I think it's okay to take yourself seriously. I think it's okay to set a goal for yourself. As long as you keep things in balance why not? If eating healthy and filling my body with great food rather than sugar is not a good balance...... then I don't know what is.

So here is to a week of compression socks, ice baths, fish oil and...... pop quiz: what's your most important and effective recovery tool????

GOOD NUTRITION!

And PS; Chlamydia is not a disease that runs in your family. Just in case you didn't know that.

4 comments:

wiley said...

My name is Wendy and I am a compulsive eater. Not attractive but true and that an athlete like you can admit to the way some foods still have power over you is brave, candid and will help so many others like me who struggle with food. When I eat sugar it triggers me to want more. Kudos to you for sticking to your plan.

Ryan said...

Hey, Chlamydia is the unsung hero of STD's...It's fun to get and easy to cure.

I learned that in the Navy :-)

PJ said...

My mom is the director of a child support agency in the sticks of Wisconsin. You wouldn't believe some of the things she sees/hears.

On the food thing, I have stupid addictions like Trader Joe's flattened bananas. Sounds healthy enough but you know what your stomach feels like after you've eaten the equivalent of a dozen bananas? Dave often has to hide food from me and when I want "just one", I ask him to get me one. He was telling a co-worker about this the other day and the cw said "wait, you have bananas hidden randomly around your house?"

Well I guess when you put it that way, I do sound a little crazy.....

Unknown said...

Wendy stole my line, but I too am a pumpkin addict. I've been off sugar since Sept. 1, and feel great, but those pumpkins...I will not eat on in support of you, Mary. You are not alone!!