Monday, September 21, 2009

in memory......


There was someone whose presence was sorely missed at the Finger Lakes Triathlon this weekend. A man named Dave who so unexpectedly passed away earlier this year, years before he was supposed to.
When we lose people ..... the times that make it the hardest are the times you visit the places that they always are. Dave was the Finger Lakes Triathlon Transition KING. And I mean KING. He was a giant of a man in size and in heart. His wavy black hair and beard always made me smile. A regular at the medical conference in Hawaii each year he shared his passion for triathlon with his beautiful wife and those of us who were fortunate enough to know him. I didn't know him well but he was the kind of guy who made you feel like you knew him form high school..... offering a giant bear hug to all he met.
His absence was so unbelievably noticed in transition. Kim, Travis Luc and I did our best but we didn't hold the fort down as the athletes entered and exited for the bike in and bike out..... nearly as well as he did. He might have understood a little bit better why spectators feel the need to try to cross in front of every cyclist coming in and out of transition and not when there were no cyclists around.
He had an unmistakable laugh. He had a presence you could not ignore. Athletes kept asking..... where's that transition guy that's here every year?
He was there..... I thought....... he was there. I looked for but didn't see his wife, I am not sure I expected to. I don't know if I would have been able to be there.
Dave....... we missed you....... we will continue to miss you. You are one of those guys that you don't forget, because of the good that you gave to the world.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary-
Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of David. I was there yesterday, at the swim/run entrance-exit, also dealing with spectators wanting to cross the course, and feeling like I was not doing it nearly as well as David would have. I knew September and October would be difficult months, since it's the time of the FLT and what had become our annual pilgramage to Kona and the Hawaiian Ironman medical tent. I'm not going to Kona this year but the FLT was an event I could not miss. Thanks to all the athletes who came out and made it such a great day.
By the way, I was supposed to compete yesterday. Two weeks ago I was struck by a car while riding. My helmet saved my life, but the road rash and hand fractures shelved any chance of completing the FLT. I am so grateful that it wasn't worse and that I was able to attend and volunteer. I guess what I'm saying to anyone reading this is, Carpe Diem (Seize the Day), because you simply don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Train Smart. Injuries Suck.
Cindy Lapoff