Friday, September 25, 2009

the core diet ain't atkins

I receive a lot of emails asking about my nutrition and nutrition related things. I have a few posts ready to address the questions so stay tuned. The big question I wanted to address is why I follow the Atkins diet.

I don't follow the Atkins diet. I don't even believe that should be permitable to be marketed.

I follow the core diet. Read about it here. Other good references that outline this style of eating can be found here on Chuckie V's blog, and Gordo has also written some good thoughts about it here. Another resource I'd recommend is The Paleo Diet for Athlete's.

But let's be simple, this is not at all a low carbohydrate diet as it is percieved to be. The ratio of carbohydrates / fats / proteins that I follow is 40% / 30% / 30%. That is an improvement for me form a ratio of about 80% / 10% / 10%.

The carbohydrate sources that I utilize to meet this requirement are from fruits and vegetables when not within workout windows. During workout windows I utilize food like Nature Valley bars, Ezekiel 4:9 Bread and Mary's Gone Crackers (the cracker not the writer). Obtaining my carbohydrate sources from these particular sources allow my blood sugar to remain stable and not to spike as I previously allowed it to do during the day. I follow the glycemic index and try to eat foods less than 55 on that index, which is a big guide in keeping those sugars stable. The Ezekiel bread and the crackers fall within that scale.

Obtaining my carbohydrates from these sources gives me a very good dose of the vitamins and minerals that my diet was previously deficient in. That in turns increases my ability to recover workout to workout and has kept me incredibly healthy.

I have been learning that the timing of meals and timing the ingestion of high carbohydrate foods is important in maintaining a stable blood sugar during workouts. When those levels are stable it allows you to reach further during a workout. Replenishing the glycogen stores post workout proves to aid immensely not only in recovery but in terms of hunger.

Growing up a swimmer I fall into that phenomenon where after every swim practice I want to eat a thousand pancakes. Swimming makes me hungry as all hell. Well, it used to.

Here is what I typically eat around a swim practice:

5am: 1 banana, 1 whey protein drink, 1 slice Ezekiel toast, 1 coffee.

During a 90 min practice: 24 ounces PowerBar Endurance.

Post workout: 1 scoop Endurox and 1/4 cup raisins. Raisins have a high alkalinity which aids in recovery. This system essentially eliminates the hunger I have struggled with post swim workout.

By following this diet I have been incredibly healthy. I Love all the new things I get to eat. I love the weight loss it has awarded me. Is this the way we all should eat? Goodness no. You have to follow the plan that's right for you. If you are a coached athlete you need to realize that coaching the physical side of you is only coaching half of you. Knowledge of nutrition and how ti pays into the training realm is absolutely critical. It's what allows us to make gains and recover and maintain our health.

So no...... I don't' follow the Atkins diet. Should you be int he core diet? Only if it works for you. Do your homework, figure out what's best for you and by following the following tips you just can't go wrong in becoming a healthier athlete:

1. Eat four fruits a day.
2. Eat four vegetables a day.
3. Drink 80 ounces of water a day.

Incorporate these three into your eating and you will feel awesome, and that's not Atkins, that's healthy!

No comments: