Sunday, October 28, 2007

Across the Other Pond....

While all eyes were in the Hawaii Ironman last week, my friend, my associate coach and athlete Erika was over in India. She was representing the United States in the Military World Championships. Olympic distance ITU style racing here. She came out of the water in the lead pack and remained in that lead until the final mile of the bike, when her day was cut short by a few other cyclists.

I cried when I saw this picture. I show it to you because it is a reminder that anything can happen out there on race day. Erika was being careful. Erika is a very experienced athlete if anyone knows how to ride in an ITU race it is her.
Luckily her injuries "only" entailed stitches to her knee, and she was very badly banged up. Needless to say she was unable to finish the race. Her A race... she was prepared for one hell of a run. And she traveled all the way to India for heaven's sakes.
What's important is that she is all right. We are so grateful for that. And thanks to my new friend in India .... Chetan S...... so sending these across the pond.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Erika!




No comments: