Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Attitude of Gratitude

"If I had one wish.... I think I'd pass. I can't think of anything I need."

The bags are packed, the tickets are printed and very soon we will be at the beach. Panama City Beach to be exact, the home of hotels upon hotels and beaches upon beaches. Yes my friends it is time already. The Ironman has called and I am on the way. It's a good thing because I feel ready.

As cheesy as it sounds, there are so many people to thank. I am absolutely the sum of all my parts. Read through any tri bloggers blog and before their big day many do the same. We do it because it is true. We realize this is a privilege and we realize that while our parts think we are nuts, the support you give to us makes so much of a difference. And know we support you in your quest the exact same way.

To every person who has read, written, sent a note of best wishes, a thought, I thank you.

The one person I really need to thank however is my husband Curt. A year ago he asked me if I signed up for Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Florida. I attempted to pretend that there was another Mary Eggers who lived in Henrietta NY. His reaction was to laugh, and while this was one race I didn't communicate with him about signing up for, as always I was immediately given his 100% support. Along with a good luck with that one you freakball laugh.

It has been an honor, however cheesy that sounds... to step back while I am training, to give him due support. Curt's dream is an ITU medal. I got to go to Germany where he did damn well bit missed the medals. We got to travel to Richmond where we got to see a dream realized. I know how hard he worked for it. I know how much he has dreamt of it. It felt so damn good to see him run down that chute, I knew he was silver but he wasn't sure... just yet. It was so great to see him on that podium as a silver medalist.

More important than sport... I have been in absolute awe of Curt in his role as a father. Over 10 years ago I remember sitting in East Side Mario's, in Canada. The night before the Guelph Lake Triathlon in the Subaru Triathlon Series. It was before we started dating and we were with another friend. The topic was things we still wanted to do in our lives. Goals, aspirations.

I will never forget Curt telling Ryan and I that he ... more than anything ... wanted to be a father. I remember thinking he'd be a great dad. And we hadn't even started dating yet.

Then the day came when we found out we were in fact pregnant. I will never forget that look on his face. "I am going to be a Dad." he said with tears in his eyes. When they set Luc into his arms seven years ago next week, it was an expression I did capture on film, but a look of absolute gratitude.

Three years ago this month our little Luc underwent open heart surgery. The night before the three of us lay in bed, Luc sleeping and Curt and I awake. Nothing to say but fear was thick in the air.

Four hours of agony as Luc was in the hands of the best heart surgeon on the face of this earth. Like always he sailed right through it. So well that he broke his foot 8 days later wrestling with Curt. Fresh chest incision and all.

To watch Curt evolve through these moments, these experiences... to endure these events with him has been wonderful. I have learned so much from him as a person. As a parent, and as an athlete.

When I see him on the sidelines cheering me on it is gold. Absolute gold.

At Ironman Florida I asked Curt to please stay at the hotel with Luc. Drop me off, I will call when I am done. It is not that I don't wish he'd be out there cheering. It's that I know how long of a day this is for a little boy and his Dad. These hours are much better spent looking for seashells, swimming in the ocean, or in the pool. We got a beachfront hotel for a reason. In my heart I will race in a better place knowing they are getting a sunburn.

Besides... I know Curt will be checking online where I am at. I know he will be with me. I know they will be cheering me.

He's given me the go ahead to reach for this goal. He's supported me on the days when training was hard... celebrated with me on the really good days. During times of doubt, Curt always says to me "You are a three time Ironman finisher Mar... what's there to worry about?"

I have strived to mirror the confidence that Curt has in me.

So Curty I thank YOU so very much. For supporting me. For loving me. For reaching for the stars with me.

Again I quote:

"If I had one wish... I think I'd pass. I can't think of anything I need."
Thank you for stopping by.
:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: