Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hmmm..... Not Here Yet

I am certain the Ironman is going to call me. Check on me, or at least taunt me. Nope. He's nowhere to be seen. Hasn't called. Hasn't emailed. Hasn't in any way said hello. I hope he hasn't forgotten about me after our little rendezvous back in July.

It's like the Ironman is about to happen and no one seems to KNOW!

And I think I have figured out why.

Each July nearly every person in Western New York makes the pilgrimage to Lake Placid for the Ironman. In every conversation.... "You goin to Placid?" is the theme. "What day are you going to be in Placid?"

If you are or are not competing in Ironman Lake Placid.... at Ironman Lake Placid is the place to be in July. I am so used to organizing swims, bikes, runs. Checking in on this person, that person. I never go to Placid alone, I take the whole Army, Air Force Navy and Marines with me.

On the eve of the week before Ironman Florida.....

A little bit quiet round here. Nothing to organize, nothing to plan... nothing at all. Hmmmm. It's like we will quietly step onto an airplane next Wednesday morning and slip away to Florida.

Yikes... that's exactly what WILL happen!

Perhaps I should go out and drum up some excitement. See if I can arrange a caravan.

"Let's go to Ironman Florida everyone!" I will call out from the megaphone as I drive thrugh neighborhoods... "Fall break! It'll be like spring break min the fall!"

I have a feeling that my cheers will fall to deaf ears.

Around these parts people are hopping on mountain bikes, hiking, trail running. Wrapping things up. Preparing for the NYC marathon.

Which leaves me hanging on Slowtwitch. And that's a pretty frightening place for triathletes when they are tapering. I am humored by reports of jellyfish, sharks and RED TIDE!!!

OH NO!!!!!

One can get pretty freaked out hanging out there. I promised Coach T I would stop.

I am delighted that the soap opera I used to watch in high school.... Days of Our Lives.... is still ON TV!!!!!! I have spent a few afternoons and I am already caught up in the occurrences of those who live in Salem. That's the beauty of those shows.... you can take a 15 year break and be caught up in 3 days.

So rather than listening to what will happen to you is a shark eats you..... here's a hint.... you will probably die.... I am entwined in the drama of who is the father of Sami's twins? Is it evil EJ or Lucas???? Or perhaps Lucas fathered one and EJ another!!!! What will happen today? Did they really kill off John Black? Any how many lives does he really have?

For now, I will take these thoughts to occupy my mind. Because I can't put out the wildfires. I can't get anyone to join the Ironman parade. I can't convince Jill on Slowtwitch that she'll be fine in the water at Ironman. I can't check the weather report more than eight times a day.

So I shall sit back in Curt's man chair, and wait to find out what will happen to Sami today. But know this my dear friends.... the Ironman is going to get in touch with me. Maybe by phone, maybe by email, maybe even snail mail. He and I have a date next Saturday at 7am.... and one thing is for sure...

I will be there!

:-) Thanks for stopping by. :-) mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DAYS OF OUR LIVES! You have got to be kidding me. That is what we watched in High school and even college before we got hooked onto Beverly Hills 90210 (am I dating myself?). It is the same here about IM FL...EVERYONE in IL talks about IM WI all year....so, we hear ya about Florida in 1 week. :) Jen
PS Read some good blogs!