Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mary's Bag of Iron Tricks

This weekend my husband needed something and somewhere to carry his salt tablets. And as usual I came to the rescue. He was so impressed (which could be an embellishment but it's my blog so the way I remember it is the way it happens....) that he suggested I make a list of all my little Iron Tricks.

That's the thing about we distance folks. We can carry anything anywhere. Think of us like Macgyvers on bikes. You need it? Ask a triathlete riding 100+ miles.... it will be somewhere taped on our bike. Roadies love to use this as "pick on points". Laugh all you want till we are out riding and you bonk. Suddenly my buffet of salt tablets, Carbo Pro and Gu will become your mirage.

What I use to carry salt tablets on the bike... Salt Stick. Some dis this little neato thing, but I swear by it.

Salt tablets I use... Succeed. They give 250 mg Na in one tablet.

The tip I gave Curt.... (who dissed the salt stick).... put salt tablets in a flip top container, like a Mini M&M container. Something you can operate with one hand. Stick it in the leg of your cycling shorts. It worked so well he even unintentionally ran the second run with them!

Great place for carrying salt tablets on the run.... in your suit, in your short pocket and ladies, don't forget the cleavage.

What to do if you use a gel and miss the garbage on the bike? Throw the wrapper into your front drink system. It won't disintegrate and the flavor won't harm you.

What I carry my gels in.... a Gu Flask. I put 5 in there and add a bit of water to thin them out.

Things I carry but never use..... Imodium, Gas-X and Aleve.

My favorite title on the run? The salt fairy. I always carry extra tablets for you... except at Ironman Lake Placid 07. I forgot them. Need some salt on the IMFL run? Just ask.

Best chafe preventer? Desitin. Hands down.

Best place to stash ice cubes..... in the hat, down the front of the suit and ladies, use the cleavage.

Where I carry my spare tubular.... in a water bottle on the frame. I cut off the top and stuff everything in it.

Best tool to use to get a tubular off in a race... a metal nail file.

Special Needs Bags.... I only pack what can be thrown away.

Why I always ride with $20, even in a race.... it makes a great patch, buys you a drink and can buy you a ride home.

This one is from Kitima.... wrap a foot or 2 of duct tape around your water bottles. Almost anything on earth can be fixed with it.

Best way to toss a water bottle.... add some spin to it. For me it hits the goal easier. At least in IMNA events you get to aim for a hockey net!

That's all for now as I sit here in Curt's man chair, tapering, waiting and learning that all people on www.slowtwitch.com are really freaking out over jellyfish and sharks!

:-) Mary

No comments: