Saturday, October 13, 2007

Perfectly Paced Glory

Today was a perfect day for a fall road race. The air was crisp, the sun was shining and I woke up happy. Happy to be racing. I told Coach T yesterday that it would not have mattered if this were a road race, a mountain bike race, even a duathlon.... it wouldn't have mattered. I was racing today and I was happy about it.

The Hospice 10 miler / 4 miler and 2.5 mile fitness walk was moved to a new venue this year in the town of Greece. Pete Van Pursen is the race director and the biggest cheerleader on the face of the earth. His wife served in Iraq and his son Philip is a damn good triathlete. The whole reason I did this race for the past 2 years was because of Pete. He has supported us athletes so many times... I want to support him.

This 10 mile course was awesome. A touch slower than the 2006 course, but in the previous course there was a 3 mile downhill to the finish. This course featured a few deceiving and sloping uphills, but I was thrilled with the race and the finish.

In the starting line I got greeted with a few whispers "I think that's Mary Eggers." followed with some word of an Ironman. I smiled to myself, funny how you can stir up a little whisper here and there. One woman even stood in front of me, looked at my hat, then pretended to bend down and cough while she looked at the information on my race number.

"It says I am Mary Eggers." I told her. Embarrassed she stood up.

"I thought it was you!" She smiled.

"You could just ask." I smiled back.

Ahhhhh to be a triathlete in a different venue!

Today I had a plan and by all means I was sticking to this plan regardless of who was here. And I did.

Miles 1 and 2 were right on target as I aimed to take them easy in 7:50-8:00 each. I felt like there was a vacuum sucking everyone forward and I had to do everything I could to hold back. Control! I reminded myself. Control! My first 2 miles were all about control.

About mile 3 or 4 a really nice woman ran up next to me and told me I was doing great. I reciprocated the compliment. She told me she was a new triathlete and was wondering if she could try to hold my pace. I absolutely accepted the company. I did let her know what I was training for and what my plan was and why that was my plan. Her husband signed up for Ironman Lake placid in 2008 also. I told her not to try to hang with, just hang with me.

I don't know where I lost her but she dropped back a few miles later, I made sure to send positive wishes her way.

The entire way I felt like I was running strong and running in control. I felt very good. My breathing, my mind, my pacing felt spot on. The effort was just underneath my edge. At mile 6 I began to notice that my pace was slowing but effort was remaining the same. A few minutes later I realized it was a long sloping incline. Whew!

And it was about that time I realized that I was passing people. If you know me, you know that doesn't happen all that often so I appreciated it for what it was worth.

I crossed the finish line in 1:18 on a more difficult course, feeling entirely in control, and feeling very, very good. I won my age group and I got to enjoy the company of my fellow teammates; Nathalie, Bill, Sharon, Sarah, Adam, Glenn, Jeremy and Tom. Jeremy's daughter and Glenn's son did the kids runs too!

To jump into a 10 miler 3 weeks before an Ironman marathon is a great confidence builder for me. I am aiming for a 9:00 mile at Ironman Florida which can buy me a 4:00 marathon. To all you runners that might seem slow.... but tack on a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike in front of it and then tell me how a 9:00 mile feels. Too slow now? :-)

I can feel that my running has changed. I have a lot more confidence, and a lot more ability. The speed part will come over the winter.... but right now I am right where I need to and want to be. All thanks to the Amazing Coach T. And you get to learn more about him on the other side of IMFL.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yippeee, Mary! Congrats on your race and getting out to do something 3 weeks prior to IM FL! :) Congrats! Jen