Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Final Push

As you know I will be lining up for the fourth Ironman of my life in just under three weeks. It's my second Ironman this year. It's the first time I have done an Ironman that was not called Lake Placid. And I am really excited.

For me Ironman Florida is like stepping to the other side of the earth for me. I will essentially be alone rather than relying on the enormous Lake Placid fanfare that I have come to love. Ironman Florida lacks in scenery what Lake Placid is abundant with. Ironman Florida is flat whereas Ironman Lake Placid is nothing but hills. And I love hills.

With Coach T I have set goals for this race and we have set and met several goals along the way. One of the main things we have worked on is run frequency and run pace. Specifically running when I am tired at marathon pace.

Heading into an Ironman I believe you must have confidence mixed with respect for the distance. 140.6 miles is never easy whether it is Ironman Florida, Ironman Hawaii, Ironman Lake Placid, or anywhere else. 140.6 miles will bring with it unique challenges. Unique circumstances and unique tests. You best prepare yourself for anything, and come race day you hope to handle it with grace.

One of the things I know I will have to contend with in Florida is drafting. It frustrated me in Clearwater. It frustrated me at Eagleman. I am now hearing there was drafting with the age group women in Kona.

In my opinion the officials within the races in Clearwater and at Eagleman did a horrendous job. I saw them watch drafting. I watched them ride by. I watched them do nothing. I did everything in my power and was able to stay clean yet.... the people around me just didn't care. They knew they could draft and they knew they weren't going to get caught. So not only did the officials not do their job.... neither did the athletes. They didn't care at all. The worst part.... they don't even draft correctly. If you are going to cheat and you are going to draft get out of your damn aerobars. And learn to hold your damn line. And you'd better get ready because I will then run your ass down.

I feel that drafting is the exact same thing as doping. I can not imagine being so insecure as to actually cheat to get somewhere. Be it drafting or doping something within you is too insecure to stand on your own abilities. If you can live with yourself as a cheater in sport.... then what are you willing to do in life? Sport is just a mirror for how we live the rest of our lives. I take it that seriously. Cheat in sport so easily.... maybe it's easier to cheat in life. Shame on you.

In each of these races I allowed it to frustrate me. At Ironman Florida if I see it I can not allow it to affect me. I have to remain in my own space, I must remain in my own plan, and I must remain calm. Giving away energy like that gains me nothing but wasted energy. In an Ironman I don't need that.

I will stand on my training. I will stand on my abilities and stick with what we have planned. If the train goes by me, the train goes by me. I stay within myself and I stand on my abilities.

I do believe that race logistics allow for this horror to happen. Place 2000 people on the same starting line and temptation will be present. I believe the only way to alleviate this is to begin time trial starting as was done at IM Louisville. I didn't hear much complaints of drafting there. But you don't find much cheating on hillier courses.

Since you can't seem to rely on integrity, you seem to have to turn to logistics. That's sad.

Onward we roll as we head through the final week of Bike -o- Rama. Lots of cycling, lots of hours and lots of fun. That's for damn sure!

:-) Mary Eggers

1 comment:

G-Man said...

Mary; I just got back from Ironman Florida and as I was writing my letter to the race director (and my lawyer), I did a quick search on 'Ironman Florida cheating' and found your blog. I want you to know that you are far from alone. After racing bikes for 25 years I turned to multi-sport. In 3 years of multi-sport, I have never once been passed on the bike segment regaredless of the distance or event. I had the 3rd fastest bike split at Ironman Brazil 2005 and the 2nd fastest bike split at Ironman Wisconsin 2006. At mile 100 of the bike this year in Florida - while having held a 24mph pace, I was caught by a pack of 40+ riders - all of whom I'm sure I had already passed. I looked at them in disbelief and not a one of them would acknowledge me as I cried out "you are all cheating! How can you live with yourselves?". I stopped racing at that moment and simply 'rode in' to the finish. I would've done a 9:15 - without cheating - that day if I had kept going. Instead, I crossed into the transition area after the bike, withdrew from the race and called the race promoter. Unbeleiveable!...I WILL be getting my money back whether they think so or not. Chris Giordanelli