Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Just About


Too much time has somehow become too little time. Ironman Florida is 2.5 weeks away.

Monday I did another ride on the parkway. I am ready for flat. For three hours I looked at my front wheel and kept my wattage at Ironman pace. Nutrition went well, the breaks I gave my back went well, even my saddle felt good. I am ready to get on with it already. I got to ride on the desolate parkway surrounded by a tunnel of trees whose leaves are all different colors, and with the Lake at my side. While the water was calm the wind was blowing. What I thought was at my back was really in my face, I realized at the turnaround.

I stopped at Hamlin Beach for some water and stood there for a moment. The trees, the water and me. It was the feeling of serenity that wrapped around me. At this very moment in time I was where I wanted to be.

I thought about where I wanted to ride one of 2 four hour rides this week, tomorrow. The second will be in Richmond. Tomorrow I ride to Bristol. I haven't ridden through Bristol because I am avoiding hills. Tomorrow I shall seek them out. I will be full of regret if I allow this entire Autumn to pass me by without a ride there. It's just too beautiful to pass up. One more stop at the convenience store that I stopped at for every long ride on the way to Placid. John and April will wonder where I have been.

"Mom," Luc said to me yesterday morning as we got into the car, "You're gonna rock." And of course it almost made me cry. For the first time I got to stand on a sideline and cheer him on as he did his first triathlon. The day before he broke his leg. And by the way he's doing well. While he got his cast off almost 3 weeks ago he still walks with a walker. The muscle of the broken leg had atrophied badly, but we will get there.

I will remember his words on race day. I know I will be out there all alone. I am ready. I know this day will bring things bigger and beyond me. And I am ready to take the day as it comes. I am ready to make something happen out there.

Things are almost ready. My race suit should be arriving any day now. Russ from Tri Running and Walking slid my new shoes on my feet... and I felt like Cinderella. Salt tablets, Carbo Pro, race wheels, new cables ... you would not believe how much "stuff" goes into an Ironman. Special needs bags, dry clothes bag, swim to bike, bike to run, nutrition, spare tubulars, gels gels gels. My athletes are always astonished when we get to this stage of the race. Suddenly the physical part becomes the easiest part.

And I am sure Coach T is ready to see what happens to. It was a a gamble. 2 Ironmans 14 weeks apart. Taking me on after Lake Placid.... "fix this please" essentially is what I asked. He created a damn good program and I have done my best. I feel better prepared than I have ever felt. One thing is for sure, I have found my coach and I know that I will have a great 2008.

Now, this morning I am headed out for a run. It's dark and it just might be the first time I have to wear tights. I resist that but I just might have to. In 2.5 weeks however I can say with 90% confidence that I won't be wearing tights as I run. And I can't wait
.


Thank you for stopping by.


:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: