Monday, October 22, 2007

Lucky Numbers

It's official... bib numbers have been assigned. That means one thing... Ironman Florida is 12 days away.

And I am # 2216.

Things feel good today as I begin taper. But it's a day off, so they'd better feel good. An eight hour drive through heaven didn't hurt.... it only helped. Especially when you have a silver medalist sitting next to you. Maybe even wearing his medal all the way home. Why not? I would. Don't you sleep with your Ironman medal on? I do and I proudly wear my silver bracelet for as long as I can.

I have no shame. I love the Ironman and I want reminders of it all around me.

My heart pounded as I scrolled to my name and saw #2216 next to it. My heart always pounds when we get our bib's. Why? I don't know. I am hoping for a lucky number. But lucky I can't define. Luck is a part of it, but it is also preparation and racing the race that you trained to race.

I admit, I do not look at start lists. And that's the God's honest truth. I used to do that, but found it to be a waste of time. Why worry or wonder is Sally Smith is on her game? Hell I don't even know her. And it won't matter. There is one race I need to be concerned with and it's mine alone.

Time and energy is better spent off my feet and visualizing the day. feeling the salt water. Feeling the pace. Mentally walking through any mishaps, watching myself handling them with grace and humor. Feeling myself race without flaw. Feeling the sun on my back. Once I turn any energy to another person, it will take away from mine.

I leave in 8 days and I can't wait to board that plane. I can't wait to feel the sand and I can't wait to hear the cannon.

I just can't stinking wait.

Until then I have some key workouts to do, workouts to plan, and an Ironman finish line to dream of.

And race # 2216 to find facts on!

:-) mary

No comments: