Thursday, September 4, 2008

awesome

Here's me, Kelly B and Pelee at 70.3 Worlds 2006.

I am a pretty happy camper today, for two good reasons. I had a great tempo day today on the bike and the run despite a sore throat and all that goes along with it. Kelly B. is home, and she is home for 3 weeks. Which means I have a training partner.
Kelly B has done 7 Ironmans and now lives in Colorado. Boulder to be exact. She swims with Craig Alexander and sometimes Gordo (because if she knows them and I know her that makes me instant BFF with them..... right?) Kelly pretty damn consistently turns out a 4:40-4:45 70.3 races and has been to Kona a bunch of times.
She's also my long time friend.
We've gotten into our fair share of trouble.
One time at band camp..... well it was 2003. We were prepping for Ironman Lake Placid. We were running 20 miles in 2 10 mile loops. We met at Mendon Ponds Park.
She biked there and we tossed her bike in my car.
At mile 10 we looped back to the car, and refueled. Then I locked the keys in the car.
I hate that feeling. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Some quick thinking and we headed towards Curt's office, which was 10 miles away.
It was a rough run. I remember arriving there and laying in the grass outside his office. Soon there were a bunch of men looking at us as we waited for Curt to save us.
What a day.
Another time that summer.... that was the summer it was 800 degrees every single day. We did our long ride from convenience store to convenience store. Each time we arrived our fluid was hot. We bought ice and ice and ice. With 14 miles to go we rode to her house and ate Popsicles while sitting in her air conditioned house. Then we finished the ride.
Although she went to Connecticut for a while and to Boulder.... we have remained great friends. As we swam today we planned on doing the Newtons 24 hours of triathlon next year. And now that she's healthy again we both promised no Ironmans for a while.
A while. That never has to be defined.
She's home on break from school (she's returning to University to become a PT) it means I get to borrow her. Just like the old days. She's come at just the right time as we are prepping for Austin. I am still trying to talk her into joining us. We have to see how SOS goes. She has promised to take it very easy as she has spent this season not running because of injuries. She promised to walk if she has to and to spend the day just being happy to be moving again.
And what can I say except for that I am psyched. I have her for 3 weeks to swim and ride with, and maybe a little bit of running on her part. There's trouble to be had and we are the ones to create it.
Now if I had not left IMLP course in an ambulance, I might not be treasuring this so much. I might have sworn off training during Sept at all. Things happen for a reason. And while it might be a stretch to say now I have the opportunity to hang with one of my favorite people in the world..... it's a stretch I will make.
I can't imagine I would ever turn down a training day with Kelly B.
If you happen to see 2 half dressed sweaty girls laying in the grass outside your office..... you will know what I did..... again.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Hi Mary...I had to laugh what you posted on Bree's blog...IF YOU REALLY want that sign...I am friends with BR...actually I am the one who introduced Bree to him:) He is super nice and funny..I could hook ya sista:)

Mel said...

Hey email me your address.....melsky026@aol.com Babysit....now we are talking :)