Monday, September 22, 2008

one day at a time

One day at a time Mary, one day at a time.

Patience Mary, patience.

The words you have all given me fill me with hope. I realize that this 70.3 race is going to be done on heart more than anything else. But to have moments of doubt and fear mixed with feelings of confidence... that's natural.

Sunday I was able to bike with no pain. I cried because I was so happy. I did it on the roads. I took a few seconds every ten minutes of the hour to get out of the saddle and flex my back. When I dismounted at the end of 60 I wanted to go further..... but I had no pain. And it was dark.

I headed over to the pool and water ran for 60 minutes. It was after 8pm and the pool was filled with college kids. When you hang at a university like I do the scenery changes from old folks doing water aerobics to youngsters donning suits of all sorts (strong bikini world..... on those who shouldn't be wearing them....).

At RIT there are 3 pools. An 8 lane 25 meter pool. A recreation pool that is a little warmer with a current and lazy river. And the diving well which hosts 2 X 3 meter boards and 2 X 1 meter board. With kids jumping off the boards there is plenty of room for me to water run. Between all 3 pools plus a picture window to the weight room.... I have lots of entertaining things to watch. An hour actually passes quickly.

I especially loved the snowboarder who practiced his stunts off the 1 meter diving board. He was awesome.

I was able to run without pain. I felt so happy. Maybe I thought.... maybe this could happen for me. All I have gained over the past year can't be completely lost in one week.

It's been 11 days since i have run on land and it does make me nervous.

Tomorrow morning I start four consecutive days of adjustments with Dr. Mike. Dr Les has had the nerve to take a 2 week vacation. I know.... I thought the same thing. He has assured me Dr. Mike will give me a great adjustment. I am most concerned about my favorite one:

The Yamaguchi-Triple-Lundi-Mach-Five. With a twist. Please do not forget the twist Dr. Mike.

With these daily adjustments I could be running Tuesday, or Wednesday. One day at a time. I can't even plan the week much less the taper.

Then those moments of doubt creep in..... will this ever heal at all?

I have to have faith. I have to believe.

I know that in Austin I will be the girl with the most heart. The weather is looking better and the water is still warm. I wonder if it is too hot ..... will they put the run into the water?

A 13 mile water run?

Now we are talking. If that becomes the case than this entire field better watch the heck out. especially you Wee. Because I will state right here and right now that if Longhorn 70.3 becomes a water run because the air temperature is just too hot to run on land...... every single one of you is in deep trouble.

Why? Because Kloner won't be there and by that day I will be the world's best water runner.

Consider yourselves warned.

Until then I will continue to take this one day at a time. Without a plan but with a big dream. Isn't that how this all began after all? A race, a finish line, a thought, a dream and a lot of uncertainty of exactly how we will get there?

I will. I don't know how I will get there..... I just know I will.

5 comments:

BreeWee said...

ha ha ha, hey, if it becomes a water run 13 miler you will have competition! That was my BEST sport all pregnancy! With the belly the size of a water melon I was still movin'. Bring it sista!

LOVE this post, you sound like you are in a happy spot and your heart is totally where it needs to be! Good on ya!

Go Mom Go said...

Believe!

The most any of us can ask is bring it one day at a time.

You will heal and you will be extremely successful, your heart is stronger and tougher then all the rest!

Peace!

Missy said...

YES YOU WILL GET BETTER!!

Read and repeat at least 3x daily until said state of better happens!

Beth said...

Water running as the 3rd sport? Now we are talking!!! :) You will be fine Mary. I have water ran myself through many a race - it keeps you in good shape and leaves you feeling really fresh and not beat up! You will find a way to conquer the Longhorn!! Thinking of you!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I feel your pain! Ok what kind of ridiculous statement is that! You will do it, most important is the mind chooses to do so. It would be a great way to cap off a season with mixed emotions by earning a clearwater spot- I am rooting for ya! I really want you to get this!