Saturday, September 20, 2008

the big crack..... and go CURTY!

Curt's been in Oregon all week prepping for USAT Age Group Nationals! I am so fortunate that we have a very fun relationship. I have a friend at work who has a very volatile relationship and I am convinced it is because she is constantly trying to change her husband. Curt and I do our own laundry, neither of us care about a clean house (ha ha!) and I have to say..... I married the guy because I like him just the way he is.


He loves his car, his Honda Civic. It's in some ways his man cave. Neat, pristine! I have a Toyota Rav 4 which he refers to as the locker room.


But while Curt is away, Luc and Mary shall play........ we sent him a few pictures that were sure to light the fire underneath him...... we call it creative inspiration:

I made sure to leave all my coffee cups for him to clean up.......

I didn't want his car to feel left out from being called the locker room:

And what husband wouldn't just love to have their wife play "How low can I go", and then PARK IT..... to be found on Monday morning.......



In other news..... my back feels very good. The pain is gone. Gone? GONE. Today I test it out with a 60 minute spin on the trainer and a 30 minute treadmill run. If all goes well I hope to spin again tonight on the trainer.

It's my SI joint and it was completely immobile.

Standing outside of the door of my treatment room at the office of Dr. Les (my new BFF) it might have sounded suspicious. But after three tries and Mary's screaming....... it cracked.

What cracked?

IT cracked. Does everyone else scream when adjusted? Seems like in the entire office..... only I do. Is that normal? (Don't answer)/

The joint that hasn't cracked or moved and has caused me debilitating PAIN for 8 days. It cracked and I let out the most incredible sigh of exasperated relief. It took my pain from today's 6...... to a 1. I still can't believe that all it took, was a few adjustments. Some of you saw how I could not walk..... Karen W from work witnessed it all day Tuesday!

I came home and rode the trainer for 45 of the happiest moments of my entire life. I am not racing on Sunday. I am not racing on Sunday. I am cancelling Luc's trip to Granny's on Saturday night because I lack that much self control.

The only way I won't race is if I have a 70 pound 8 year old with a Mohawk strapped to my leg. I am THAT addicted. I lack THAT much self control. I am a complete BEAR IN A CAGE. And I will be in Austin racing my little..... no..... my BIG heart out.

Swear to GOD I WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this was just what I needed. Some forced rest. In the past year I have done 2 and part of one... Ironmans. I have trained upwards of 20 hours a week at this pace, at this wattage, at this effort.... and I have neglected my spine care... Maybe pain was the only way to stop me. All the compressing of this joint..... which I knew was a hot spot.

I am very good at learning the hard way.

It's not over yet. I warn myself to not get my hopes too high. I go back Tuesday, Wed and Thurs. Dr. Les will be in Montana (I know, at a time like this!) but I will be seeing his partner, my new substitute BFF Dr. Mike. Who knows? Maybe we can have a three way BFF ring.

Keep it clean kids...... keep it clean.


One day at a time. One step at a time.

Sunday I will ride the roads for 2 hours and again run. If I am pain free I will carefully plan a big week and them Yee Haw........ game on my friends!

1 comment:

Damie said...

I do hope you get to plan the big week. I truly, truly believe injury rehab can happen QUICK. I have seen it and have done it. Keep getting after it! Good luck to Curt, too. May his race be fast!!!!!