Sunday, September 21, 2008

evolution


Here's Dennis Moriarty, Curt and Luc at the Sprint National Championships back in August.
Congrats to so many people for such amazing performances on Sat at USAT Nationals! Curt earned a bronze medal in the 50-54 age group, improving his time by 3 minutes over 2007!!!! How about Cathy Ynsestad? 2nd overall! And Tom Dutton, the ageless wonder, 2nd in his age group! And at the Finger Lakes Triathlon the Train-This crew did amazing. By Monday you can check out their awesome stuff right here.

What an exciting day. It made me wish I was there.

Things here are progressing, and progressing slowly. I spent the weekend as a spectator for my favorite race, the Finger Lakes Triathlon. So many kind folks came to our triathlon clinics yesterday, I realized how many people were beginning the sport. I also realized how amazing my good friend Rich Clark and his team at Score-This are..... with race management and so beautifully channeling over 900 athletes in 3 separate races through a very well designed course so flawlessly.

Score-This is simply awesome.

I was in just enough pain today to not race. I was heartbroken and at the same time grateful. Dr. Les warned me not to race and I didn't. Saturday I biked with no pain. I stood at the race expo for a few hours and did experience pain, I could relieve it through the movements he taught me. I was afraid to run the road afterwards so I got in the pool and water ran for 30 minutes. Man did that feel good.

Water running is certainly not a substitute for a road run. But in this circumstance it is so much better than nothing.

I know this is going to take a few more days of adjustments and of taking things day by day. I will bike and water run again today and I know I will be on the starting line in Austin.

My main goal is to secure a spot to the 2009 70.3 World Champs. I must have this insane idea that they will fix this unsafe draft fest of a race by then ..... or my concussion 2 months ago must have erased my memory. If I can secure that slot then I can transition into a month or R&R.

I promise I will take it this season. I just might not have any other choice.

I will race Austin smart, that is the plan. I have to accept that right now, and this season I have some limitations. My allergy to gravity and my attraction of strange luck has certainly won this round. It has made me reflect on this season and think about what I'd like to do next season.

I want to be healthy. I want to be faster. I want to train smarter. I don't want to do an Ironman (hear my husband cheer). I want to soak up the many awesome local races that we have around here, that I have missed due to traveling or being ready for an Ironman.

Kelly B and I have already placed this cool race on our 2009 agenda.... there are new things to explore and have fun with.

That's what life is about!!!!!!

3 comments:

Cy said...

Mary-Thanks!

I was trying to find your husband to introduce myself. I saw him pick up his award, but didn't see him afterwards. I think everyone was anxious to get out of there...It was a very long day.

Love your last post about your relationship. Sounds very familiar. Just Easy :-)

BreeWee said...

Mary... I got fingers and toes and my arms and legs crossed in hopes you get to run on the real road soon! My goodness chica... what a season, your attitude to "deal" is contagious though and I have been better off for it several times this year!

rr said...

Awesome Curt!! And remember, patience.. like you were telling me a few weeks ago.. you will be there! Hang in there.