Thursday, September 18, 2008

crack-THIS

We saw this car the other night at RIT. If I ever meet the owner i will slap them. The "energy" they will be saving by being green will be wasted when they see how much fuel is needed to power up the jaws of life to get their sorry body out of this thing after an accident. I don't care how many airbags you have. Get hit by an eighteen wheeler and leave your kids memories of how you tried to save the world.

Remember how I said I wouldn't be seeing the chiropractor, it wouldn't help because it was a structural issue and I think people who run to their chiro for every little ailment are pansies?

Okay…. I was wrong. And I am eating my words.

Yesterday I saw my good friend, my chiropractor who is also my lane mate, former cycling buddy until we had the big crash of 03, and as of right now my new BFF. I could loudly pronounce the benefits of Chiropractics to you, but you already know. I am not ashamed to be a fair weather fan either….. hell I am from Buffalo NY, home of the Buffalo Bills. I needn't say more.

Anyhow….. Dr. Les Lange of Greater Rochester Chiropractic saw me in May of 2007 for my little back issue. Then it was muscular and at that time he lectured me on my neglectful spine care. I have scoliosis so it was important.

Truthfully I knew he was right. But if I had an hour in my day I would spend it training rather than being adjusted. Seems it has caught up to me.

We determined this is not muscular as I thought. Evidenced by the massage on Tuesday….. no trigger points, no sore muscles. Evidenced by the same thing with Dr. Les. He assessed my spine functionality. Now remember that your spine was designed to bend and twist. I am a yoga teacher and when healthy I can not only do a backbend, I can back bend and rest on my forearms. So normally my flexion and extension is good.

Thursday……. not so much.

The only time I experienced pain was bending forward. When he tried to bend me back I couldn't, but not because of pain. Which led him to conclude this was in fact structural, but not disc. This is good news.

One of the reasons I don't get cracked is because I hate to be cracked. Call it control, call it whatever. But I was in so much pain that relaxing into the arms of Dr. Les with my right leg here, my arms crossed; me twisted…… that felt fine.

C.R.A.C.K.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Five more cracks and an instant 50% reduction in pain.

"You'll be ready for Austin." He told me. "You will be pool running by Friday, running by Monday and flip turning by Wednesday." Honestly I don't care if I flip turn at all before December.

He also instructed me to limit sitting to driving. "Either stand or lay down." He said.

I walked a mile with Luc and it was good. I spun an easy 45 minutes and it was pretty good.

It's sore, I will admit to that. But it is the first big improvement in a week. Hooray! I can put away the Flexoril (this isn't a muscular issue….. although it was a nice magic carpet ride…) and I moved my computer to the island counter in the kitchen.

I get cracked today, and every day until we can back it up to once a week, once every two weeks and then once a month. I will never neglect my spine care again.

Now note this: had sticking needles in my eyes cured this pain I'd be standing here typing to you the benefits of needle-in-the-eye-sticking. I am not afraid to jump on a bandwagon. Remember: Buffalo Bills.

If cracking me works then you can crack me all the way from here to Austin Texas. If no sitting is the order then hell on the place I will stand (once we reach altitude of course). Man, that would mean I have come a long way; I have flown to Hawaii 2 times without even leaving my seat for a 12 hour flight.

So if you see a tall girl with gnarly brown hair and pink compression socks (just to irritate my coach I wear them ;-), standing in the back of the plane with a death grip on a seat (what if the top of the plane rips off? COME ON!!!) Then come on back and talk to me. I will tell you the benefits of chiropractics.
Before then however I am off to find Dr. Les and I matching BFF bracelets.

5 comments:

Trigirlpink said...

Never leaving your seat for a 12 hour flight? You must be a camel. :-)

This post reminds me that I should start carrying my camera around with me at all times. The stuff you see and wish you had it are too numerous to count.
Glad you are feeling better.

rr said...

YEA!!!! You know why I'm running? The chiro. They know their stuff, woman. Go find your BFF one of those best friends heart necklaces that split in two at walmart.

So glad you're on the mend!

Marit C-L said...

The worst part is the ANTICIPATION of the crack. That is awful... ;) Glad that it worked AND that you're taking care of your spine! VERY important!

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad your back is feeling a bit better- you were such a trouper tues even with the pain! See u Sunday!

BreeWee said...

I am going to mine thanks to this post! I keep putting it off, off off off, you changed my mind! Thanks Lady for making me un-stubborn myself!

Glad you are getting better!