Saturday, September 27, 2008

taper.... uh..... yeah

Texas flag suit has won! Thanks for taking the time to help me on this very important global issue. I hope you skipped the great debate to take time to think about my bathing suit. If you must..... scroll down to see the suit in action with the swim helmet and running girlde.

Some of you dear readers may feel like you are watching a car wreck in slow motion. I get that. real time though..... real time.

Saturday I cried tears of joy as I mounted little blue, and had a great ride on my Computrainer. Little Blue is my baby blue Cervelo P2K. It's got 650 wheels and I don't care what you say about a 5'10 girl riding 650 wheels..... there is something about that bike. I love it. I will always love little blue.

During my 60 minute ride I was able to obtain and maintain tempo efforts without any issues at all. While I didn't run off the bike yet, I got off with a pain level of 1. I am trying to be smart...... I ran about 2 miles with pain of 2. I have to be careful because I worked last evening. It's homecoming weekend so there are a lot of injured football players. Patients looked at me so strangely last night as I paraded around with scrubs and a Fuel Belt..... that I found an ace wrap in the ortho pit and that worked just fine. It's funny because the run girdle does not eliminate the pain but it gives you a feeling of stability. Which again I realize is a huge problem.

I hope you are all taking notes on this. The beauty secrets of Mary Eggers.

I don't know about you but I am a planner. I like to stare at a week of training and I like to check things off the list. Not only have I no plan for a taper, I have not had a plan for any given day for 2 weeks now. I can't plan anything at all because I have to make a decision based on how I feel that day.

It's the strangest feeling. What shall I do today???

I didn't even decide to throw in some tempo efforts this morning until I got on the bike and warmed up. I am just going from gut here. Who knows what taper will look like. Short workouts with some tempo efforts. I hope it works.

It will be a busy week, that's for sure. I have 80 hours of vacation and I only work 20 hours a week. Being in the hospital setting I frequently stack my hours at the beginning of one week and at the end of the following so I don't have to use that vacation. It's like money. I like to save it and look at the big numbers.


I certainly could have taken vacation for Texas, but I chose not to. I did for IMFL!!! So I have 3 days of just 8 hour shifts..... and then the big hell. I have a class on Wednesday for the next five Wednesdays from 8am - 6pm. I would much rather do an Ironman every Wednesday than be in a class. However this class covers all of my electives for my degree and could give me what I need to launch into a whole new tax bracket. Yeah, it's that good of a class!

Miss proactive that I am I did email my instructor and let her know I crashed my bike and have a back injury (which undoubtedly threw up the this girl is a wacko flag....) to ask if it would be okay if I periodically stood in the back of the room rather than sit. I am very sure she won't let me lay down.

I am so tempted but I never ask..... can I just bring my bike and trainer? Because I listen much better while in motion!

So we shall continue on the road we have been on (We???? Yes, you and I). The border of winging it, going form my gut, knowing what I want to do kinda sorta....... and not going crazy. I still have my cup of HTFU and my friends wing and prayer are already in my suit case. Next to my point zero3 speed suit. And my helmet. And my run girdle. I might just wear pink compression socks to really complete the look.





4 comments:

Pedergraham said...

That picture cracks me up! I hear you on the classroom thing. After I fractured my T7 in college, the Dean of Students gave me permission to skip my classes for the rest of the semester. I told her that was a little overkill, but I would appreciate being able to bring a pillow and have the opportunity to lie down in the back every now and then. (I figured that once she realized I was still playing waterpolo twice a day--with a girdle--the free pass from class would be revoked.) Good luck with your shifts and run girdle this week...please post a pic of the scrubs and fuel belt get up!

rr said...

Best.photo.ever. I LOVE it! You are rocking the Texas suit. And the compression socks.. helmet.. fuel belt. Wear that to the class. Come on, I dare you!!

PJ said...

This post really made me laugh. And I really needed a laugh. Thanks, Mary!

The fuel belt and the compression socks are the perfect accents to the whole look. They really tie everything together!

Trigirlpink said...

You look HOT!

I hope you have an awesome race!