Saturday, September 6, 2008

look out!

Today was a wonderful day. I got to do three workouts with Kelly B (and the amazing Miss Kim swam with us as well). It was good to be back on the road in the sun laughing and smiling. We underestimated the heat (near 90) and during our 30 minute run (after our 90 min bike) had to stop and about jump in the Pond for some more water. But we made it, Irongals we are! HA HA!

We talk triathlon the way most folks talk football. We talk about the men's IM Hawaii field is pretty much wide open. Who we think the top women will be. Where's MJ been lately?

And we talked about my husband. Curt. He's got an Ironman coming up. Ironman Florida to be exact.
Curt isn't the biggest Ironman fan and that's probably why he's had such longevity in our sport. At age 34 he did a triathlon over in Binghamton NY. He was the very last man out of the water. Five years later he came back and won that race five years in a row.

How did he do it? Through consistent smart training.

Throughout his triathlon career he's been All American three hundred years in a row. Annually he's on the Indie Tri list and most other lists out there. He's a quiet guy who has a lot of passion for triathlon.

The third time he qualified for the Hawaii Ironman, he accepted the slot. That was 1999. He walked most of a marathon to finish in just above 11 hours. He did Ironman Canada in 2001 and didn't have a great day.

The guy doesn't like the freaking Ironman. But he rips off 2:00 Olympic distance races and is in the top three at Nationals each year.

He's prepping for Ironman Florida. He tells me "You Iron People are pigs." when it comes to caloric consumption during the race. Yesterday he did a five hour ride and reported to me that four hours got boring so he came home and did an hour on the trainer.

I shook my head. That might be the last thing I would have done if I was.... bored.

I have to say this is the most Iron focused he's ever been. One night I heard him confess to his friend that I had made Ironman Florida look easy.

Which made me smile.

If Curt sticks to a steady plan he will easily break 10:00. Honestly it will all come down to nutrition. If he keeps the calories coming in and the sodium, he will have no problems and in fact he will cruise to it.

He will take down my family Ironman record quite easily then. And you know what?? I hope he smashes it. We will be out there cheering.

So here's to the fittest 52 year old guy I know. For his tenacity, longevity and dedication. Here's to a personal best at Ironman Florida. And here's to many many more years to come!

No comments: