Tuesday, September 9, 2008

strategery

An email from the Longhorn 70.3.... or what are we calling these races now...... Ironman Texas 70.3 .... revealed that the lake in which we shall be swimming in next month...... is 90 degrees.

90?

90. Ninety. Nine zero.

I don't think I have ever swam in water that warm. Like..... ever. Which is why you might have seen Kim, Kelly and I doing our workout in the hot tub this morning. Next to cups. Who drinks from cups and jumps up and down at the end of the lane.

That is not a joke.

Anyhow...... 90 degrees of swimming may change things a bit. Like no wetsuit. And maybe not even a skin suit. Possibly just skin if you know what I mean. This could very well become the nude swim in Texas.

A look through last year's results and the seemingly slower times were well explained by the hundred degree heat. Suddenly this race could easily become about who races the smartest rather than who races the fastest.

I have never been stellar in the heat but each time I race in Africa Hot weather I handle it better. While I might take a bottle of S! caps I get through it. And I will find a way to persevere through this one as well.

Now comes the question....... how on earth do I simulate Texas heat in Rochester NY when outside my window it is a chill 65 degrees?

Clothing of course. It is scientifically proven that if you simply dress warmer...... that it is just like the hotter climates. I swear! If you believe that then click here for SwimmingPeaks 1.0, you will fall in love with this software.

The truth of the matter is..... I can't really simulate Austin up here in Rochester. Sure I could bring the bike into the bathroom with the shower on HOT and the steam .... but that truly wont' simulate actual conditions. I can dress as warm as I want.... but again that won't do.

I just have to rely on past experience and plan ahead. Strategery as they call it, my favorite George W Bush invented word.

Strategery is devising a strategy. Combating fluid loss, salt intake, caloric expenditure, pace, etc. Trying to figure it all out and then when the gun goes off hope that like the lotto.... I have more than just close enough.

Actually close enough will do me just fine as well.

So I can spend the next few weeks worrying. Or I can spend the next few weeks working hard and preparing to have the best race I can in any conditions. What it will truly come down to, more powerful than heat or distance...... is that space between my ears.

4 comments:

rr said...

You know you might have a hawaii friend out there, don't you? maybe you should come acclimate here with us, then fly back to texas with her?

Don't forget the S!tabs. Or Nuun :)

BreeWee said...

Hey, I like RR's idea... come to Hawaii then FLY in with me :)

Between Rach and me we have PLENTY of kids to keep you from missing yours!

See ya in TEXAS!

Damie said...

Ha ha....strategery. I have always loved that one. :)

Marit C-L said...

Hey - you rocked at Gulf Coast - and that was hot. Okay, not 90 degree-swim hot. But still pretty sweltering. And NO shade on the course. You'll be fine - I totally believe in you! And if it comes down to it, you can always pop a nuun in your mouth (slight shudder!) :)