Thursday, September 4, 2008

made it

We made it through the first day of school. 3.5 hours of training, a great swim with Kim, waiting nervously and making several calls while Luc's bus was very late.... and last but not least..... sitting in class.

What made class much better was knowing a few souls in the class, who are not annoying. You know those annoying ones, the ones who need to raise their hand when class is over. The ones who know it all..... the adult learners.... wait I am now considered an adult learner.

The interesting thing about being a nurse at the University of Rochester is what we have our own nursing school, and everyone in class is between the ages of 25-50. So it isn't like I am the oldest at 34. I am right in the middle.

And I am starting to see I will be with some of these gals through my entire Masters program. Which made me happy when I realized Wende, from the Adult side (Adult ED) would be too. She's one I can hang with.

I almost fell asleep during class.

Yesterday I got an email that offered me a rolldown spot to the Best of the US race in October. I sighed. Man, that would have been fun. But I am in no sprint condition right now. And I am prepping for Austin. And we will be heading to Ironman Florida. I can't pack that much into October. I would like to, but I can't.

Pass it along, I told the race director.

This week's workouts are going well. I am hitting some big intensity today. Good tempo workouts on the bike and the run. Yesterday I got to swim with one of my athletes Kim, and today I get to swim with Kelly B. She's home form Colorado to do SOS!

Onward we go...... day two of school for Luc.... and no school for me today! Hip Hip Hooray!

4 comments:

Danni said...

Hey mary!
Congrats on surviving the first day of school.
I read you are heading to IMFL. I will be there too, volunteering with the hopes of signing up for next year. I'd love if we can meet...

Laura said...

Mary, I didn't know you were heading to IM Florida!! You HAVE to stop by our house - it's just passed mile marker one on the run course. We're gonna be out there for the run all afternoon/evening/night dressed up (it is right after Halloween...) cheering our bums off for Damie, Joy, and all the other IMFL peeps. We did it last year and it was SO much fun!! You should stop by too Danni!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

What a great way to spend your first day free! That is a lot to juggle - training, school, work but I am sure you will do a great job!

Laura said...

Sorry that last comment was confusing - I don't live in FL, I actually live in Memphis and train with Damie and Joy. One of my teammates owns the house and we stay in it for Gulf Coast every year (It's the 'beer stop' on the Gulf Coast course). Whenever a group from Memphis does IM Florida they stay there too.

Last year we started our annual Girl's Trip training weekend during IM Florida weekend and the tradition of dressing up for the IM run was born! Someone got the idea we should get costumes from the shop called Condom Knowledge across the street....we actually ended up in the IMFL video in the volunteers section last year. SO much fun.

So yeah, come! And bring Luc - as long as you don't mind us crazy triathletes having too much cowbell fun cheering in silly costumes!