Wednesday, September 17, 2008

update

Like I previously said, 2008 has brought a bit of strange luck to the girls of Camp HTFU. What is important is that we keep our perspective. I believe we have.


Two days ago I cried through a half mile walk with my son. Today I woke up to ..... less pain. For 5 days pain has been 9 out of 10. This morning it was a 5. That's a gift. Tuesday I spent an hour on a massage table getting worked on by the magical hands of Kevin at Breathe. The rest of the day was a disaster. I worked a 12 hour Pediatric ED shift and I burst into tears several times due to pain. You think my Nurse Manager would have cared.

Uh..... no.

But my wonderful colleagues did. Including the doctors I work with. They have helped me in more ways than I know. I finally agreed to a prescription for Flexoril. Funny how I have such an aversion to medication. Just took my first dose and I feel the muscle continue to relax.

At noon I will head to the pool for some light laps and no flip turns. Now let's talk about ego. How much does it absolutely kill me to do an open turn? Can you say SWIM SNOB? But I will eat my piece of humble pie and do the open turn. No intervals, just swimming.

All I want to do is move today.

Should that feel good I will do a very easy water run and spend some time in the hot tub. Thursday I spend with Dr. Les Lange of Greater Rochester Chiropractic.

I am holding hope that if I can get out of pain by Sunday, Monday I can ship my bike and Austin is still on. The training I have done is not for nothing. I can put in a good easy week next week and come Austin just race from my heart. Will it be fast? I don't know. I will ride completely on feel, meaning if I have pain I shall slow down or I shall stop. I am okay with that.

I just want to move.

There's one thing that's for sure, this is something that will heal. This is not the end of the world. Sure I have worked so incredibly hard for a season that was crappy. There were many things that were beyond my control, and just as many that were.

Like I could have just been paying attention last Thursday instead of riding with my head down. Admiring those great big watts bought me no watts today.

Humility Mary. Humility. I know.

Day by day. That's all i can do. I will only do what my body shall allow. I am approaching this recovery like I approach everything. With a big heart, great hope and a lot of faith.

Just like my teammates in HTFU. One day at a time girls. One day at a time.

6 comments:

Marit C-L said...

I know, Mary - I know. Hang in there, accept that medication can help, and BELIEVE that you can do this! I know you can - you are so strong, such an inspiration... yes you can! I believe it you!

Meredith said...

As I sit here sippin' my 2nd cup of a robust, delicious cup o' java, I am saddened to hear all of the crashes that have occurred in the past week with the HTFU-ers!! Dang!! I hope you are doing better, and I really hope Jen H is ok!!! Sorry to have been so absent.....!!! I know what you mean about pain meds..funny how us medical people will dish out the advice on pain killers, yet turn up our noses at the thought of even taking one when WE are hurt......:) Oh, and Miss Mary, I am moving to Madison......;)

PJ said...

I think every once in awhile we need a bad day, month, year -- whatever it might be, to help keep things in perspective. We wouldn't appreciate the up times without the down times (although I never appreciate this reasoning when I'm in the middle of a bad phase).

I'm glad you're feeling a little better and I hope you keep improving. I'm sending you every good vibe I have left in my body to help you heal up in time for Austin!

Trigirlpink said...

oh geeze..I was away all weekend with no computer and just catching up with my blogs. This was not what I wanted to read. Excuse me (someone upstairs) but don't you think Mary had her SHARE at LP in the washing machine?

Sorry Mary! This rots. I hope you are still able to do Long Horn. Sending speedy healing vibes.

Eileen Swanson said...

I am so sorry you are in lots of pain! I really hope you get better soon. You are super tough! Hang in there, you will all get better soon....

E

rr said...

Mary.. I didn't know it was so bad. You will get healthy and ready for this race fast, I am believing it and thinking positive and know it will happen. Just hang in there and take care of yourself.