Friday, September 12, 2008

the hurdler

I can't believe it. I crashed my bike. Not because of anything glorious either. I was in the middle of a 120 minute tempo session. My head was down. My preceding tempo run was great. reverse acclimation was in full swing and my feet were frozen.

When I rode off the rode and into someones lawn. Crash, flip, boom.

Ouch.

The good news: I kept my wits about me as I was falling and I kept my head up.

The bad news: I landed on my right hip.

The good news: I have no road rash.

The bad news: I have nothing to show for this!

The good news: I landed on my right hip which triggered the old "right side of my back / hip tightness problem" that I frequently encounter, from when I was hit by a car running some 10 years ago.

The other good news: I am in one piece and my bike is fine. I am lucky.

I picked myself up and finushed the ride. I completed my second tempo run and headed to the pool. The tightness grew so much I could not flip turn.

Game over for today.

We all have our litte injuries and we have our own way of dealing with them. For example I partially tore my Achilles in 2006. What works for me when I have any sort of AT issue is heat. The AT's have a poor blood flow. The only time I ice my AT's are in an ice bath. For me heat on the AT works wonders.

My back.... I have scoliosis so there is a weak spot there which I combat with strength training and flexibility. So when it gets tight I can tell because my hamstrings will get tighter. I never use ice on my back.... I use heat. For 24 hours I don't touch it. I let it be still. Then I go to work.

There is nothing a chiropractor can do to fix it. It's my structure. I also won't make an angry muscle angrier by touching it all of the time. So I do my fix for an hour and then I leave it be.

Already much much better. I am grateful because I know this injury.

I am lucky that I broke nothing. I am lucky it is just this. And I know I know..... intervals like this should be done on the trainer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH GOSH MARY! You need your swim helmet on the bike too! GLAD you are ok and nothing major happened. PHEW! JEN H.

Damie said...

oh girl, glad you are okay. now...it is good news you are re-triggering the old right hip thingy? funny how you get to know your body so well you know what works and doesn't.

Amy Beth Kloner said...

How do you feel a few days later? One word: Celebrex!!! Hope you're feeling ok Mary. ttys...

rr said...

Oh no!! SO Glad you're OK, and I hope the pesky back thing doesn't last.. I throw my lower right back out all the time, it's such a nightmare.

Yea for no roadrash, mine is STILL a problem!