Tuesday, January 2, 2007

"All glory comes from daring to begin" Eugene F Wnee

I reserved New Year's Day to open the floodgates, as since signing up for my third Ironman I hadn't allowed myself to really feel it. I have been staying a bit reserved, focusing on my business, my team, teaching, my semester. I purposely did not watch the 2006 Hawaii Ironman coverage until today. And I am glad I did.

There is a feeling when you sign on to train for the Ironman, a feeling of nervous excitement, squeamish energy, and a feeling of humility. This thing is bigger than me, it's bigger than you. It has taken me and spit me out, and it has cradled me in its arms.

There is just no telling when it comes to the Ironman, it doesn't care who you are, how much experience you have. It is the same starting line, the same finish line and the same medal. We all prepare to have our best day, and then we travel through a series of mental and physical obstacles, success on that day depends on how we handle it all. Success is crossing the finish line. There are no failures in that itself.

As I set there and watched, and I cried. I was inspired, I was touched, and it was like it all came back to me like a big sucker punch to the stomach. Much the same feeling when I was handed my son for the first time. When I became a mother, with the handing of that 9.5 pound baby to me for the first time, I felt so much emotion all at once. I suddenly knew what fear and love were. Thought I previously did but when you become a parent it is magnified by 300%.

In a different way so is the Ironman, for me. When I finally allow the gates to open it is so emotional, magical, frightening, and exciting. All at the same time.

So the floodgates are open, and now the Ironman passion is flowing. There is something so magical about Ironman Lake Placid, only those who have done it know it. I have been to hawaii, I have been to Ironman Canada...... this is different. Maybe it is just for me.

Flying down the 10K hill at 54 miles an hour, with the mountain on one side of me and the streaming river on the other side of me, it is the closest I will ever come to actually flying like a bird. It allows me to feel one with nature. The last 11 miles through Wilmington feel the same way, just water and trees and mountain. I step out of the world and I step into nature and all things beautiful.

When I go to train there, Lake Placid heals me. There is magic in those mountains. In 2002 I went to kick ass and it chewed me up. It launched me into a spiritual quest like many have traveled before me. We can do the training but we must embrace the humility, the quietness of a warrior who respects an energy higher than myself. In 2003 I found that place, and in 2003 I was carried magically through a wonderful day.

So here I stand essentially at the beginning of the journey. The physical journey (training) has already begun. The spiritual journey begins right here, right now. I stand before the task ahead of me with humility, with honor, with hope and with faith.

From there we grow, and from there we commit. From this place deep within me, I am going to make the reach, tap the well, and dream a dream. What happens next is already decided, but it is up to me to walk the path.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: