Monday, January 15, 2007

Weekly Check in, January 14th


Some days, most days lately I feel so blessed to be in good physical and emotional health. It is truly a gift and it is one not to be taken for granted. I am so blessed to have had an issue last season that I have been able to recover from, because I know full well there are people who wish they could be in my shoes. There are people who not only have career ending injuries but life ending illnesses. So as bad as I ever thought my injury was it was nothing compared to what many people really go through.

That being said I am thrilled and blessed and lucky to have had another good training week.

Review of Systems:

Swimming: Swimming continues to improve, as I am enjoying swimming "up" this year. This means that many of my rest intervals are an open turn, but now sometimes I get two breaths during those open turns. I have terrific lane mates in Ken, Bill M., Other Bill, Maureen, and sometimes Julie and always Dr. Les. Sometimes in swimming circles when you swim "up" you can become the annoyance of the lane. But my lanemates have been crucial, supportive and ultra encouraging to me. THANK YOU!

Biking: I was pleased to hit a four hour ride this week, the long base miles are wonderful. I feel strong, I feel good. I am delighted to say the new Computrainer is on the way, should be here within a few weeks. I set a target date for February to begin using all of the neat features on it, saving time trials and such.

Running: I once again ran out of Zone II on my long run for 13 miles, but in the sleet and hail this weekend I just wanted to get back to the car. Running in Mendon Ponds Park will never be easy, but again the long miles are feeling very good. Achilles tendon feels great.

Strength: My flexibility is directly helping me experience no muscle tightness after running or even long runs. My muscles have never felt so good. I think I have finally found the right balance of strength and flexibility training for me. The Functional strength training is also of course a benefit.

Nutrition: I know when I am beginning to see my abs again that things are coming around. Weight in day is tomorrow. I have been working hard on eating foods than contain no ingredient list, whole and organic foods. I get mocked by many for the organic foods, but if you know how to look for them, what to look for, you get such incredible quality. Around here we are lucky to have good places to buy from. Yes, they cost more, but it is a quality investment. I always find it so sad that a pound of applies (organic or not) costs more than eight bags of Cheetos.

As I have said before I like 90% of my nutrition to benefit my health and 10% is the bonus card (Thanks Cyndi!!!!). For the 10% I have been also finding that quality is the key. This means real French chocolate from Arya Tea. If you know what to look for in terms of chocolate, real chocolate, it is an experience. 70%, 60% ....... these contain less sugar and are the real deal. There is a special way to eat real chocolate too. You take a square and rest it on your tongue. Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth and allow it to melt. I guarantee that it WILL beat the Milky Way any day. These days it is all about quality.

Things are coming along, and I am delighted. Thanks for checking in, and thanks for your amazing support.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: