Sunday, January 7, 2007

Weekly Check in, Jan 7th

The first week of this build phase has been rock solid. During the holidays I settled with a 90% workout completion rate, and now that we are past those, 100% is always the goal. This week we had 15:05 planned and I got in 15:20. Damn overachiever!

Quick review of systems:

Swim: Life in the stud lane continues to be great, and I continue to hang on at the end. Some long sets this week and holding 100's on my personal best time. :-)

Bike: I love to ride my trainer, I am wattage obsessed. I did however do my long ride on my mtn bike. I ride 1:15 to the park, 60 min of trails and 1:15 home. The trails are incredible for technique, balance, death defying feats, and for over unders :-)

Run: Long run was 2:00 this week, and we switched our group runs from the canal to Mendon Ponds Park, where there are long sloping hills, short steep hills, very few flat areas, and terrific scenery. I ran with super runner Glenn, Dennis and Bill. They are a bit faster than me, and I carefully allowed myself to be pulled along with them. Gulp! This is the course I will be running my two distance races on in April, and this is where I will stay till the Ironman. It brings back memories from 2003 when Kelly B and I lived on this course.

Strength: I feel great with this functional strength stuff. I do miss the pumping Iron in front of the mirror at the gym feeling. But I know I am not getting so bulky. In yoga I was able to do my forearm balance in the middle of the room and hold it for 15 seconds. I am also working on side bakasana (crow), and flying pigeon. My flying pigeon has a long way to go. If interested see http://www.yogajournal.com/ to see what the heck I am talking about. Side bakasana and flying pigeon are variations of their two derivative names. Both are balancing on your hands.

Wrapping up this week, this afternoon is the Train-This swim clinic at RIT. It will feel good to hang out with the gang, review their technique and no doubt have an afternoon full of fun!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: