Monday, January 8, 2007

The Dog Days

Now that life has slowed down I am taking the time to enjoy the quiet moments in my life. For years there were so few. So on this gloomy Monday morning here I am in my office, large cup of coffee, just allowing myself some quiet time before my morning bike ride and subsequent task filled day. Tasks is a harsh word, privileges would be a better choice. When you are doing what you love every minute feels like a privilege.

We are in the process of finding a dog. I have been the roommate of people with a dog, but I have never owned a dog. It is interesting the requirements you have as you go out and seek, will that perfect one jump up and say hello? We are adopting a dog form the Humans Society at Lollipop Farm. Typically the dogs they have will be older, houstrained, may have experience with children, etc. Among those requirements I would love a dog I could run with. There are wonderful trail systems around me and I would feel so comfortable running on them with man's best friend. So I need a dog that can be active, but not hyperactive. This pooch needs to be good with children, as this will be "my son's dog". I think it will be good for Luc. I think Mom gets boring after a while and the neighborhood kids aren't always available to play.

This dog needs to be a medium sized dog, as a dog bigger than me is too big, and a dog smaller than a rat, well I call those rat dogs. If you can kick it, it isn't a dog in my brain.

So we've gone dog shopping and the dog I spotted was already adopted. More will come and this weekend we shall look again. We have gone leash shopping, collar shopping, food shopping. I have to confess I am not a shopper but Luc has delighted in picking out just the right things for his potential dog.

This weekend we shall go back to Lollipop Farms and perhaps the perfect black lab will jump into my arms, lick my face and cry out "Take me for a run Iron Mom!". Or perhaps he will see Luc, his tail will wag, and they will play with a Frisbee. After all there is nothing quite as sweet as a boy and his dog.

No comments: