Saturday, January 6, 2007

Let it Snow!

They promised me snow by Wednesday of next week, and I will hold them to that promise. It has been two long dreadful years since I have sat on a sled. It has been two long years since I have donned a pair of skis or snowshoes. I could say that the snow angels were kind to me last year, because as I spent the winter in "Das Boot" and on crutches, winter festivities would have been impossible. I would have sat at the window with a frown.

Not this year. We are armed and we are ready. Snowshoes for all, skiing lessons for Luc and I, and we have the sled. We have the best sled, one of those mighty inflatable sleds that flies down hills at warp speeds. And of course we have sledding helmets (Emergency nurse, don't forget).

There is just something about the earth covered in a blanket of white powder. It turns the seasonally dark evenings bright. It gives the earth a sense of calm, a sense of truth, a sense of serenity that we only get to have a few months of the year.

During this time of the year we train in the garage. That's our "training room". It is cool, it is quiet, the bikes are always set up, the garage doors have windows so we can see the light of the early morning shine through. It's one of those places I love to be, just for some quiet time.

A lot of work gets done in that garage, a lot of miles are logged. While we have cable TV and a DVD player and all that stuff, I rarely use anything for visual effect, except for a mirror in front of me. I like to watch my feet turn around. Maybe for the same reason a hamster runs around its wheel.

I do listen to my iPod Nano, I love music and I am very inspired by what I hear.

But my eyes have learned to be still. I used to have everything under the sun on while I rode inside, but these days I enjoy the music and the visual solitude as I pour through the dreams withing my head.

So this morning I am seeing rain out the garage window. And in a few more days, they have promised me snow!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: