Thursday, January 4, 2007

Humpty Dumpty, Meet the Tree

Perhaps a little over zealousness was to blame, perhaps it was the unusually beautiful weather, or maybe even ego. Where we go ... ego I suppose. I met my match this afternoon in the form of tall bark, on the upswing of a trail called Humpty Dumpty.

Can't say I am quite ready for this one yet, but I took it anyways. In terms of technicality it isn't, but in terms of slope, speed and staying on your bike.... well that's the challenge.

I came to the top of Mr. Dumpty, which consists of a rather prominent drop, (you can't even see the way down because it is concave, well I think so!) into another hill, into another drop, up and then a sharp right or you fall over the cliff. Well before the right there is a tree, there are a lot of trees, but one that I could say saved me from a worse fate.

"I break the whole way down." My husband's words echoed in my head. Well, what if I didn't brake at all? Wouldn't he be impressed?

The thought of being his mountain bike hero goddess got the best of me and I went for it. Halfway down I realized how bad of an idea this was, but then as I ascended the hill I was filled with thoughts of how cool it was that I actually lived down that thing.......

So I threw caution into the wind and I flew down the second one and then there he was. Big tall and handsome, bark older than I was. Right in my line of view.

"Never look at the trees, look past the trees" Curt's voice said again, but I was locked in. I saw tree and cliff.

Tree it was. Boom. Tree and me, a match made in heaven.

Laying on my back, I saw stars. A quick feel to the arms and legs. Nothing broken. Whew.

I looked up, where was my bike?

Over the cliff. Well it isn't exactly a cliff, there is a sharp drop, but this ain't no Grand Canyon.

So I climbed down and found it, he was all right too.

Back to the green trails for the rest of the day.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: