Friday, October 23, 2009

it's complicated

Actually, it's not. Training is not complicated, but we are really really good at making it so. I know many people are opinionated when it comes to Chuckie V, kind of like the way they are with Rush Limbaugh, but I like the guy. I like his real world approach to the sport. I admire his passion for it the most. I think he's funny. My opinion, remember that.

In today's post called
No Secrets he reminds us that all of the gadgetry on earth isn't going to make it easier. All the powermeters and Garmins in the world are not going to make the progression from point A to point B easy. If it were easy everyone would be there wouldn't they?

My favorite paragraph of the blog was this:

Here's how it works...
One, you apply a stimulus (i.e., a training stress).
Two, you back off (and allow for adaptation).
Three, you note your response to that stimulus (good, bad or ugly?).
Four, you apply the next stimulus (ideally a greater one, at least over time).

Done. Basic.

I can't argue with that. As the president of the powermeter / garmin / computrainer club I can attest that we as coaches and athletes make the above simple system ridiculously complicated. To the point that some feel they need their Doctorate or their Coaching Level 19 to even begin to understand.

The rules of training don't have to be so thick and confusing. Look at all of the people around you who have succeeded this season. They might belong to the fancy coach or team (I do....... aren't I freaking special........ secret answer no) but if you take a good look they have one thing in common. Application of training stress....... recovery.....building that again and again and again.

So keep it simple. SILLY!

No comments: