Wednesday, October 14, 2009

kale chips

I walked into Breathe, (Check out the new site!) the yoga studio where I teach and Josh (the incredible chef) was standing there with a handful of green. He held his hand out to me...... TRY THIS he said. I don't even have to ask him what it is. Josh knows I am eating in the core and he knows my fruit and veg table palate is very narrow so when there are new items on the menu he brings them to my attention. Through him I am now an eater of kale, butternut squash, red beet hummus, spaghetti squash..... his specialty is vegetarian cooking. YUM!
So I took a piece of green something from his hand and ate it. OHMYGAWD!!!!!
KALE CHIPS.... he told me. I at first was afraid, chips? Chips aren't on the core!!! No No No, I was assured, kale chips are made with just olive oil and seasoning. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
Kale, Olive Oil, and seasonings of your choice.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces. In a bowl toss kale with olive oil, you want the olive oil to be LIGHT, and add the seasonings. Place the kale on aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and cook int he oven for about 15 minutes.
Done!
You will have light crispy chips made of kale!!! Who knew!!!!
It so happens that Kale fits so perfectly into the core diet! Hooray!
Speaking of Core diet I had a terrific meeting with the Wizard yesterday, who always seems to have the neatest bag of tricks up his sleeve. As we approach race day he liked to dial in the nutrition and get right down to race weight. This means for the next four weeks every morsel that goes into my mouth, The Wizard knows about.
Many people come to coaches and nutritionists to be told exactly what to eat. I don't know many, if any that will do that for you. The Wizard does not do that for me. What they do is educate you on your food choices. It is still in the end our ultimate responsibility to develop our own menu. Now the exception is race day and week. Other than that it is still up to you.
So as we tighten it up and I get down to race weight (I actually have a bit more to lose next season, but we agreed that this would be a safe good weight to get to for Clearwater), I was sent the QT2 Food log. It tracks everything, adds it all up automatically and gives me goals and breakdown goals to follow.
I dont' find the core diet to be restrictive. I find it to have opened doors for me nutritionally that I didn't know were closed. I'd never thought I would be such a kale fan! I am learning to cook, I bought a cook book and I even just spent an hour at the grocery store looking at fruits and veggies, grabbing some new things!
So exciting!
Four weeks to go, try the kale chips!

4 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

I made these by mistake this summer! Ha inattention = overcooked kale ! Who knew ! And don't you think kale beats chard? I can't stomach chard but the rainbow chard sure is pretty.

Unknown said...

I love Kale Chips...definitely my favorite way to eat kale. I also like raw swiss chard in my smoothies...just throw a handful in with the fruit and yogurt and you can't even taste it (also works with raw spinach.)

Kim said...

WTF is kale?

Damie said...

ok- made the chips :)