Friday, October 30, 2009

judge and youth

Two very different topics today and Crapola! My spellchecker is brokenola!!!!!!!!!! And the font is all crazy!


I was placed into a very strange situation this week, and I write about it because I am not entirely sure what to do, if anything about it. My instinct is to let it go, and know that the ship will sink itself, the bomb will self destruct, that karma takes care of things like this. I honestly wondered when and how I became the judge and sentencer, and in all honesty how my opinion even mattered.


I was posed the question..... in my opinion do I think that an athlete poses a safety concern to other athletes on a race course, through sportsmanship and / or reckless behavior. What? I don't know, the last conversation I had with the athlete in question may have been over 10 years ago. I really didn't know. Because I was told my opinion mattered...... I reached out, and asked the athlete directly. I wanted to know if they were in fact someone who did seem to be a danger to other people? Was that even possible? I honestly didn't believe so. Who in our sport would not cherish community as I did, as we all do? Maybe if I was the one to extend the olive branch, a greater understanding.


I know what it is like to be misunderstood. I know what it is like to have people judge who you are based on rumor rather than personal experience and I so desperately hoped maybe it was I who could help.


The answer I got was so disturbingly ambiguous that..... I could not give an opinion. I asked to not be asked. I asked that those who were asking look elsewhere, because I can not be someone whom I don't know.... I can't be their keeper. Especially when they act..... as they do.


What I do in this case is separate myself. Completely. Draw the line, pull back in, and disassociate. I don't need that type of energy and influence on my own life and the community around me.


I left it at that. Did I do the right thing? What is the right thing?????? I suppose my own question is answered. Let it go, let them decide, and let that ship sink itself. That's what always happens.


Onto more exciting news I have some very cool and exciting news about the 2010 Musselman Triathlon Festival coming up this year. We've been in close contact with our great friend Jeff Henderson..... who you might have seen featured in this months USAT Triathlon life magazine.


I have a very special love for the Musselman. It began in 2004 and it has grown ever since. In this world of WTC and 70.3 domination I love homegrown races like this even more. Why? Because a race like the Musselman involves collaboration, teamwork, companies that would normally compete come together and work together for the good of the community.


That's what this sport..... to me is ultimately about. We are working hard behind the scenes for a few extra goodies to add to the Musselman events this year. Check some of them out at
www.musselmantri.com for details.


Which truly brings me to the most important point of the day. I have a question. Youth triathlon. We know that there are loads of youth events out there. But for those who are reading......... are your kids at that in between stage between kids race and sprint tri, are they in that "Youth" category? They'd like to begin participating in events and get timed but are not ready to be playing with the adults in adult races???? If so, please shoot me an email at maryeggers "at" gmail "dot" com with your thoughts, ideas and interest. We are in a data collecting position at the moment....... to see what it is that is out there, what's the interest for, and what would you like to see?


That's the beauty of all of this, community, growth, positive expansion. It's the force field around the multisport life that I so fiercely protect. But not by spelling.

No comments: