Wednesday, October 7, 2009

looking ahead and cooking kale

I forgot to post the Kale recipe that went with my Spaghetti Squash! It's at the bottom!

I am slowly getting better. I had the flu..... possibly H1N1...... but really who the hell cares. The flu is the flu. H1N1.... swine flu..... whatever you want to call it is not that big of a deal for those of us who are healthy. Are you immunocompromised? Okay that's a bigger deal for you.

What we don't always realize when sick is the energy it saps from you. Yesterday's workout went far from target, my zone 1 HR was zone 2 at my zone R pace. Which meant Zone 2 was Zone 3 at 20 seconds slower than normal tempo pace. I know that made sense.

The short version: all paces and HR's were completely messed up. But that's OK, that's what happens when sick. I am on a recovery week and will do the short workouts while fueling my body with the nutrients I fuel with to replace what I have lost.

Tomorrow will come, my big weeks of running are up next and Clearwater will be coming!

In case I haven't mentioned it, I can't wait. I feel like this is where things are truly beginning.

I am doubly excited because my Train-This Triathlon 2010 is assembled. We've gotten things underway..... acquired a slew of new athletes who absolutely dominated the Autumn Classic F1 Duathlon here in town this weekend. I am entering into my fifth year of triathlon coaching and each year I have been able to bring new things to the table...... and this year might be the best year yet.

We've got a group headed to NOLA, and a bigger group headed to LoneStar. We've got a brand bright team uniform that we will have by then...... you won't miss them. I say them...... because I will be wearing QT2..... I wish I could be wearing both. Maybe I can make a deal where I wear QT@ top and TT bottoms. It won't match but I am incredibly proud to be a part of both.

You will see us over at TriSpot in Buffalo every month cycling through testing and swim analysis. You will see a GIANT Train-This team in Lake Placid this year. And at Ironman Florida. And IM Kentucky. Syracuse 70.3 Again..... you won't be able to miss the Train-This Team. Trust me on that one. We will be so bright you will definitely need shades.

This year I will be racing as a 36 year old. One year ago I was beginning to think the end of my triathlon career was upon me. The Wizard.... keeps assuring me that what we are doing now is only the beginning. My best years are still in front of me and I have put 200% faith in Jesse and my team!

So....... there's a whole lotta great things going on..... as the fall descends upon us and we begin to look towards 2010....... it looks damn bright!

Sauteed Garlic Greens from: Clean Food by Terry Walters

This can be used with Kale, collards, mustard greens, or chard (whatever that is)

2 bunches of Kale (or any of the above)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsb mirin
sea salt

1. Remove dry stalk ends from greens and cop into bite sized pieces
2. In skillet (I use a wok) over medium heat saute garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil for 2-3 minutes until soft.
3. Add greens and mirin and saute for about a minute.
4. Increase heat to medium and add water as needed to prevent sticking, cover and cook until greens break down. (To me this meant until the Kale became soft and chewy).
5. remove from heat and toss with remaining TBSP olive oil.
6. Season to taste with salt! ENJOY!


1 comment:

GoBigGreen said...

I just made a version of this but had no Mirin so used rice vinegar and some ( liberally cuz I love it) Miso paste, sea salt and the olive oil. Added some salmon and OH YEA. Glad you are feeling better:)