Thursday, October 15, 2009

mary + computrainer = love

Without complaining I have realized that the next time I ride outside will be in Clearwater. You'd better believe I will appreciate it even more then. I love racing in November, I love pushing the season out like this, I have done it the past 3 years and it's the main reason I am choosing a fall Ironman for 2010.

I love that today I will be completing 1 mile repeats under a canopy of orange and red leaves while I breathe in the crisp fall air. I don't mind that I will ride tempo in the garage. My bike and I could be anywhere together. I will ride four hours inside this weekend which is fine. It gives me the chance to dial in.

The Wizard has me dialing in nutrition even further this week. I can see from an outsider's point of view how it would appear that we restrict carbohydrates. We just get most of them from training fuel and the rest from really good sources. If I were restricting carbohydrates..... how would I get through a 20 hour training week + an exam + motherhood + coaching + teaching + working.

I wouldn't.

I am working with a really neat spreadsheet designed by the Wizard which gives me nutritional goals for the day and week in terms of macro nutrients. It's fascinating to me to really break down my nutrition. A few more pounds to go and I love how healthy I have been able to do this.
Again I reiterate how much I love that my coach bridges the gap between nutrition and performance and training. QT2 is very unique in that approach.

Speaking of healthy I am recovered from the flu, each day I am seeing my training paces and power averages return to normal. As busy as I am I am sleeping 7-8 hours a night. Sleep as we know is the #1 reason we get stronger and faster.

It's a good time for me right now. I am getting stronger and fitter by the day. I know what Clearwater is going to bring for me and as I have said before I am especially excited about what comes afterwards.

Today I am excited to ride my computrainer next to my husband, run under a canopy of trees. Study for my exam under a warm blanket for a good four hours sipping herbal tea (did I just say T.E.A.). Remember that what we get to do is a privilege, not a rite of passage. There are millions of people in this world who would do anything to have the ability to ride a bike, let alone indoors next to the sub ten hour man (or his super cool wife).

I continuously get mocked for that attitude..... but go ahead and mock me. Know I take none of this for granted. Every step I get to take is a giant opportunity, a chance, and an ability to chase a dream.

I dream of swimming in the ocean, I dream of riding along the roads as I look at the clear blue water in Florida..... and I dream of having a very solid run through one of the most beautiful run courses there are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having the choice to test our physical limits, with a smile on our face is a gift I'll eternally be thankful for. There's hardly a moment when I feel more alive than sweating my butt off, in zone 4b or 5a, with my legs burning - the opportunity to do that is a gift.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice words Mary! You do have a great positive attitude. Good Luck at Clearwater!