Thursday, October 29, 2009

now more than ever

If I have not mentioned it I am really excited to close my book on December 5th. I actually enjoy what I am learning. I am not enjoying the directions it is headed. I am not enjoying the fact that I will be missing pumpkin carving at my house tonight because I will be taking an exam. I am not enjoying the fact that I will not be seeing mister hugger pie get off the bus today.

I told him the news this morning. I told him that starting December 5th I would be there off the bus every single day. Because if you have ever been around when he gets off the bus he runs and I mean runs down the driveway full speed and gives you a knock over hug.

Soon I get to have that every day.

This morning I am at Starbucks studying. For some reason I am wearing grown up clothes. A sweater. I don't know what possessed me to dress this way, but as comfortable as I am I don't fit in with these real job type of people.

I love to be out and about. I love to be dressed in my Lululemon and Mizuno. I love meeting athletes at coffee shops and talking dream talk.

My father always told me that no matter what I do I have to be happy first in what I do.

So I am doing some exploring over the next year in my nursing career. I love being a pediatric emergency nurse. I love knowing what to do when a child rolls in who is very sick...... I love working as a team to save them. I love that excitement. On the other side I hate the feeling of failing when we fail. That devastation to my team is unexplainable. we feel it deep and for a very long time.

I could not do it full time.

There is so much opportunity out there. So many things I can do and create and continue to build on. More than anything I am so excited to discover.

3 comments:

Matt Curbeau said...

I feel the same way. I want to be meeting people at Starbucks and talking shop, wearing comfortable clothes, pecking away at my keyboard creating spreadsheets and articles about things that really interest me, thinking about where I am going to get my ride in that day....thats the BEST!

I can't wait until I figure out how to do this!

Kim said...

The day someone offers me a book deal for curriculum and instructional strategy so that I can work from my couch will be the best day of my life. If only Ed Week would stop rejecting my articles...

Unknown said...

The first thing I thought when I pulled into Starbucks Thursday morning was "Hey, that's Mary's car." The second thought was "Hey, hey she's wearing a sweater (green V-neck, I think it was) and jeans instead of Lululemon!"