Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Arrival

Ahhhhh...... to arrive in Lake Placid is a lot like arriving in heaven. There is just something about this place, I can't define it, I can't put my finger on it but there's something that connects me out here. We learned that the way to go around here is to rent a house rather than a hotel room. More often times it's cheaper and you get so much more. This is the second year we've done this and our jaws dropped when we pulled into our home.

Adirondack BLISS. I will take some pictures tomorrow but I couldn't believe my eyes. Hand crafted everything, wood beauty and a kitchen to absolutely die for. I can't wait for Nathalie and her family to arrive, they are sharing this house with us (it's really big enough for more!). Adam and Sarah are going to be in the loft next door, which is actually bigger than my own home. The kids will be in their element with a river for fishing, a backyard full of trees and bears and a wood fired hot tub for the adults. Plenty of room for boy themed fun.

Does it get any better than this?

We are right off the out and back portion of the run, which will be a beautiful place to see all the boys on race day. Far enough out of town that we will avoid the nervous twitchiness of Ironman athletes.

Around 5pm we rolled into town and right into High Peaks Cyclery. First item on the agenda was to pick up my new cassette (and chain Marit! :-). The kind people at HPC insisted on not only installing it for me but also giving my bike the check over. I saw the rows of bike boxes that they were already working on, so that they insisted on doing the work warmed my heart. Sure it's money in their pocket but they won't be hurting for business this week.

I always mock those who leave things like this for the last minute, and now I am the hypocrite. So my gratitude towards the folks at High Peaks is tripled. Thank you guys so very much.

We enjoyed a family dinner at the Lake Placid Brew Pub, a classic place to eat race week or any time in Lake Placid.

And so we are here, all is unpacked and we've left life behind in Rochester for a week. Tomorrow some short workouts, a spin on the new cassette, then we retreat again to our home away from home.

All smiles here in Placid, because it's going to be a fabulous week. Oh! And I have Internet!

2 comments:

IronBolus said...

I'm jealous you have a 24 hour head start in Placid on me!

Hope you didn't have too many Ubus or old 46ers tonight!

Karen said...

Your home there sounds so beautiful. Enjoy this week with your family before your big race.
I'll be watching the race on the ironman live feed.
Good luck and best wishes,
Karen