Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Litte Plastic Castle

Training for the Ironman and a concussion leave you feeling much the same. Like you are a goldfish in a bowl swimming happily. Each time you see the little plastic castle you think.... wow, a castle........ wow a castle....... wow a castle!

We so sadly left lake Placid late yesterday and I frowned the whole way home. Not because of the Ironman, because I love Lake Placid. I still love Lake Placid. I am glad we stayed a few extra days. The hoopla quieted down and we could just hang out.

It was nice.

The pain of the DNF is healing quicker than I expected. But then again I have a head injury....

This morning things are not much better in terms of pain. Yesterday I had trouble speaking, getting though to word, but that passed. My eyes hurt and my head..... did I say that still hurts? I sometimes forget things.

I am so incredibly proud of my Ironman team. For the fifth year we enjoyed a 100% finisher's rate (do I count? HA HA!). When I said goodbye to Ed yesterday I almost lost it. But he is in the TT family forever.

If there was ever a day I would have PR'D in an Ironman it would have been Sunday. Rain is my weather. Actually, a little more wind would have been better. As I saw those raindrops begin to fall I began to rub my hands together and lick my lips.

But I am living to fight another day. This morning I am even laughing about it.

And so life goes on in the world of Iron...... but I no longer need to say the world of Iron. You see the Ironman and I..... we've had a good run together. It's time for us to take one of those "relationship breaks." for at least a year.

Which gives me plenty of time to design the swim helmet, and believe it or not, we have tons of orders!!!!

5 comments:

PJ said...

I hope your head heals up soon. It sounds painful (and scary).

It must be hard to take a break from something that you love so much but I think that knowing when a break is needed is really important. I have a feeling that PR will still be there for you when you're ready to come back.

My coach took some pictures Sunday for xtri.com (http://www.xtri.com/pix_thms.aspx?navT=1&navC=12&navG=91&navAll=1^12^91).
I think he did a good job of capturing how brutal the IM swim start can be (and was). As I've not done one yet, I'm completely terrified of it. Could you hurry up with that helmet, please? ;)

rr said...

Now I have to go dig out that Ani CD.. they say goldfish have no memory, I guess their lives are much like mine..

LP sounds like a wonderful place, and you sound like recovery is coming.. emotionally you are 100 steps above where I would be now, your attitude should be an example to us all. Safe travels home.

Trigirlpink said...

I'm so sorry about this at LP and that it tossed your day in the trash.

I've only done one IM and it was LP and I know EXACTLY what you describe. IT's not like say..IMFL where you have a big open area to start with and funnel in.
I'll never forget that swim. I wondered how I could be such a strong confident swimmer to feeling like, "shit..I'm losin' it out here. My head is stinging with the multiple wackin' going on here."
That just rots that your IM and all that training went down the tubes for your day there but sounds like you are much of a fighter and will overcome this.

Stef0115 said...

Hey There! I am one of Liz's athletes and have been checking in on your site ever since you girls held Camp HTFU.

Your attitude is Amazing! What I love about this sport is that those of us at the back of the pack (still kind of scared to ride in the rain) can learn so much from experienced and talented athletes such as yourself, through blogs, through coaching, and, if we are fortunate, sometimes we get to meet in person.

Please take care of yourself and of course race again very soon as long as it is safe for you medically!

Mer! said...

Hi Mary..I just read your race report, I found your blog through Bree Wee's and my heart just went out to you. First of all, i'm so glad you are doing better and most importantly "ok." But, I can only imagine the frustration and irritation you felt with your DNF, especially because it was caused by people not swimming clean.

I have a severe hearing loss caused mostly by impact-related hits and I always worry about the swim and getting hit in the head. This past weekend at Vineman I got clocked on the head and I immediately wondered if I had lost hearing. Naturally, I overeacted, but did I? I did IMFL last year and i'm training for IMAZ.....if you come up with a swim helmet before then, i'll buy one!

Best of luck to a speedy recovery!