Friday, July 18, 2008

The Very Long friday


I am very well aware that we have a very serious issue with my hair. I have not brushed it, I don't plan on brushing it. At mile 18 no one will give a shit and I just might even cut it in T2.... except that'd take too much time. Until then I am doing my best to be the mountain girl.


Today was the longest darn day of my life. A day off, the Ironman looming, the bike is ready, taper is done..... now just waiting. Rain, thunder and lightning seemed to follow us around wherever we went, which was really not anywhere.

We had a team meeting this am after some of my athletes sampled the water. Everyone is ready. The only glitch is that Ed has emailed and done everything to try to contact the medical director for weeks now, and he can get a hold of no one.

No one.

You see, he needs to test his blood sugar after one loop of the swim. When you are diabetic, especially a new diabetic, you realize how delicate blood sugars are. We have check points during every part of the race. But during the swim he can't wear his insulin pump. So he needs someone to hand him his meter between loop one and loop two of the swim. We need a volunteer. No response from the medical director, and Ed is stalking him at the athlete meeting right now. Worse comes to worse we will have his sister stand there and wait. It's outside assistance but we have a case. We have countless emails and phone calls and attempts. Nothing in return. NOTHING. We followed NA Sports directions to a T. So I am worried about that.

We've got an attempt plan tomorrow. We will work it out.

The girls are at the athlete meeting. I've essentially been at the house since we left early this morning. In town Lake Placid is where I will not go today. Insanity. Pure insanity.

Instead my time has been spent sitting on the screened porch in the middle of the woods. Listening to the birds and the lawnmowers. Reading, sleeping, stretching, planning. Getting ready.

Saturday brings a short early workout. 2pm bike check in. Late afternoon dinner. Then to sleep. I'm lucky that I can sleep the night before an Ironman. Hey I am a nurse, I could sleep in the middle of Main street on the yellow line without a problem.

Until tomorrow....... we wait.

No comments: