Friday, July 25, 2008

Texas or Bust!


I am headed to Texas this October. It's official. I am officially registered for Texas Longhorn 70.3. I told my coach I had three goals:

1. Sub 5

2. Qualify for Clearwater 2009 (I did this race in 06 and vowed I'd never go back, but I have a head injury.... what do I know???)

3. Ride a mechanical bull.
Coach assured me that I would have trouble with only one of those goals. You can imagine which.

So Train-This is headed to Texas and I couldn't be more psyched. It's going to be one interesting weekend. As long as hole doesn't blow into the belly of our plane.

There's much work to be done between now and then. Monday is the new start date for all of it too. The greatest thing about last weekend is that I did not forge ahead and I did get pulled off the course. Because I have legs fresher than even the winner of Lake Placid 2008. And now I've got a whole rest of my season that I didn't expect to have.

I've been focusing on 140.6 for so long I haven't had the opportunity to work on my 70.3 issues. You see it was a long time before I slipped up and started heading above 5 hours. Then I had all sorts of issues and I kept landing back where I didn't belong. If that sounds cocky I don't intend it too..... it's just the truth about me. We've all got that time we belong at..... and I know where mine is.

I am anxious to go fast. I've never said that before.... and I'd better be careful of what I admit!

I've selected a plethora of races, some good running races to get me back into the running swing. There's no more 6 hour rides.... there's no more 2:30 runs..... hip hip HORRAY!

So the Ironman and I had a nasty little breakup. He kept asking me if I thought he was fat and I got tired of it, if you really want to know the truth! I mean come on!

As of today, which I am led to believe is Saturday, the pain has decreased even more. I attended the Friday night lake swim and my friend Dave Soule (who did a 10:40 last week!!!!!) gave me his motorcycle helmet to swim in. Even in the lake I was worried about getting hit. I am giving a swim clinic in Sept. at this lake and I will be speaking a lot about etiquette and swimming straight!!!!!

I thought I would be emotionally broken after an Ironman DNF. I really did. Now it could be that I will have a delayed reaction and break down next week.... but today it's just fine. Monday I cried and by Tuesday I felt really grateful. Had I not stopped I would have finished that race, slower than I was ready to and I would have trashed myself for any remaining season.

I am so grateful to the man who stopped me. I had actually passed the aid station and stopped at the hockey net where we throw old water bottles. So this guy had to run over to me and I was about to clip back in.

Whew. I got lucky.

So as we prepare for Texas there is a flood of excitement coming our way. I have a whole new schedule of races..... check it out here..... and I am really excited. I am most excited about one thing.... going fast. I know I can go long, it's been a while since I went fast.

So bring it on Coach T! And I promise not to ride the bull until after the race, and with a helmet!





3 comments:

Mel said...

Mary you rock...I just read what happened..that stinks, but out of your control....but look at you ready to go again...love it!! Life is like riding thre bull...you fall off, but we get back on and try again!!! Keep your strong attitude and safe travels to TX :)

Jen said...

Glad that you have a new goal...Texas will be AWESOME! Good luck with the whole bull riding thing :)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I was indeed surprised to read that you had a serious head injury on the swim. Clearly, they should not throw 2,500 people all together for a swim start. I remember being in the midst of an Ironman swim start but I am over 6 ft 3 in and I was very careful to guard my head. Size is definitely an advantage. I am also careful not to hurt other swimmers. Hope you can also do some smaller more friendly races. It's not all about Bib numbers and timing chips, but being able to race against friends and have fun. Get well soon.