Wednesday, July 2, 2008


I got home from a short four hour stint in the peds ed and woke 4 hours later to be back down at the hospital. Well across from it, at the pool. The outdoor 50 meter pool where our Masters Team trains every Wednesday morning. It reminds me of summers when I swam for Hickory Hill. Except not so early.

There is just something about morning swim practices. I could never swim at night. Perhaps it is because I spent my entire life being at a pool before 5:30am.

This morning air was be cool but the water was be warm, relatively. As we swam this morning the sun came up and the airplanes roared overhead as the pool is right in line with the airport. The planes come low and when you are swimming backstroke it's a treat!

One of my athletes Kim, joined us. Another one, Alan is a few lanes down. Alan is new to Masters, his daughter Tina was actually my lane mate for a while before she moved to Oregon. Kim is returning to the water as she was a star swimmer in college. It took a periformis strain to get her back into the water and I am thrilled she's my lane mate now too.

I completely love this team. We have a great group and an awesome coach. Many of us have been swimming together for 7+ years.

When the alarm went off this morning the first thing I felt was excitement. Even with a small amount of sleep, even though it would have been easier to roll over. I rarely do that though. I rarely miss practice on Wed and Friday mornings. No matter how tired I am.

But this morning I was excited. I am feeling good again, I am afraid to say I feel great. This is the last big week and two weeks form today... the car will be packed and we will be on our way.

My heart flutters at the very thought of it!

This morning as I swam and I swam with the longest stroke ever..... I thought about how in just over 2 weeks I will be in the place I love the most. With 2000 of my favorite people. With the look of wonder excitement and of terror. At the beginning of a magical day because it holds so much possibility.

I found that I had to reel myself back in to the present moment. Right here right now..... I reminded myself. We still have some work left to do!

1 comment:

kodiacbear said...

Yeah, that excitement and terror face will be me!! I am thrilled to make this journey and can't wait!