Monday, July 28, 2008

On Strength Training

Before we begin..... CNF= Could Not Finish.... which Missy so graciously pointed out! And.... stay tuned.... Dawn from Splish is designing a cool Texan suit for me, as soon as I have the design I will let you know! I told her any color, anything.... just make it Texas.... with Eggers on the butt of course! How else will I meet my creepy Internet friends????

As training for Austin has begun I have happily returned to some strength training. There is a lot of debate amongst coaches and those who consider themselves to be professionals in the exercise science fields, as to whether strength training hinders or helps multisport athlete. While I am in agreement that to become a faster swimmer, biker or runner you need to swim bike and run, I do believe that strength training has its place in our programs.

In recent years I have stayed out of the weight room because it is very easy for me to bulk up. With my anatomy I would likely have been a better bodybuilder than triathlete, so the actual weights are something I tend to stay away from.

Yoga has been my mainstay for a few years now, and if you don't think yoga involves great strength.... come on over to Breathe and we'll just see about that. In addition to yoga one of the best purchases I made was the Vasa Trainer. In college I spend many many hours on this awesome piece of equipment and there is so much more that you can do than just work your swimming form. You can do just about anything on this machine, which enables me to use cords and my own body weight to build strength.
I also am a huge fan of surgical tubing, stretch cords and stability balls. Functional Strength Training is a term that's become increasingly popular over the past few years and is essentially what I am a fan of. I took a seminar with Chuck Wolf a few years ago and his approach caused me to absolutley fall in love with this mode of training.
There's research to support FST and there's research to knock FST. There's research to support strength training and flexibility and research to debunk it.

I personally believe that a stronger muscle is a more durable muscle. I believe that it is essential to strength train especially after the age of 40 when it is believed that you begin or continue to lose muscle mass each year (depending on what you read).

I like to make it simple... if you have the time a few sessions of strength training per week can't hurt you. If you are trading swim / bike / run workouts for a 60 minute stability ball session then I'd raise an eyebrow. As long as it is additional in my program, I do it about 6 times a week.

For me a typical session is a mixed bag and is never the same. I find 20-30 minutes, which during the day is easier to find than one might think. I see what I am in the mood for and either break out the cords, ball or hop on the Vasa. I hit the major muscle groups, I hit my core and then I call it a day.

I don't' do muscle groups A on day one, B on day two and C on day three. That's how body builders train. I like to hit the whole body, allow the muscles to work in tandem because essentially that's how the body functions.

I don't ever only just use my biceps. I don't ever only just use my shoulders. Everything operates together and that's why I love FST.

I have some athletes who hate FST, they feel their best work is done with free weights or on machines. I have them do what they like to do (imagine that!) and what they can get done quickly and without interference.

I think the best mode of strength training is the one that doesn't detract from your normal swim / bike / run grind, and is something that is easy to remember, that you enjoy doing and that is fun.

So if strength training is something that is important to you, take the time to figure out which mode fits you and what you are looking for. Keep it, fun and keep it simple!

2 comments:

kerrie said...

glad to hear that you are back training and have found a new goal to focus on...just make sure you are babying that head for a bit ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Nice Blog. If you would like to incorporate fitness videos single ones or related lists to support a topic of one of your posts or widgets for your side bar, please check out Physicalfitnet.com