Monday, July 21, 2008

Swim Helmet

I have been inspired by my sister to invent a swim helmet. It will be a big seller at Ironman races. I will make a billion, buy myself an island and live happily ever after. I will host Camp HTFU twice a year and we will swim in the ocean.


But don't forget right now that I have a head injury so I might not remember this in 5 minutes. Just remind me of this fantastic idea. And please forgive me in case I repeat myself a few times.


Why would I want to invent a swim helmet? Well because contrary to reports..... my injury occurred in the least likely of all places. The one place where I feel 800% at home, where I spent my life.


In the swim.


Who gets injured in the swim?


It would have been evident if you know my regular swim times. I've done IMLP 3 times and have never swam over an hour. So when I line up in front it is because I belong there. I lined up yesterday after a morning that went fine...... in the front. This year I chose a spot very wide. I wanted to avoid the dogfight that this swim is.


Here is what the Lake Placid swim start looks like.


It's about 50 yards wide and all 2,500 people start in the water together. Over the years this swim has become more and more aggressive. There is a line you follow under water if you can get to it, and it's twice around a rectangle.


I knew things would be ugly when at 6:50 the men were already pushing and shoving and dunking others as we were treading water. A group of about 10 of us girls huddled together and vowed we'd stay together. Pink caps unite. All of us had swim times under 1:00 so we were in the right place. By the looks of a few of these fellows..... they wouldn't be under an hour.


At 7am the cannon sounded and we were off. Even at my wide right spot it was awful. The girls stayed together and suddenly I was surrounded by blue caps.


About 2 minutes in..... the event occurred.


When you swim in a triathlon you are prepared to take hits. especially as a females swimming in the midst of guys. They hit and punch you. They dunk you. They are not kind.


I took three hits one after the other. It wasn't the force of the hits as much as the timing. I got hit in the right temple, left temple then as I picked up my head to sight I got nailed in the back of the head.


It took less than once second for me to get all 3 hits. Had I had one small second in between each, if I had just enough space for my head to move with the blows I would have been fine.


My sight immediately went blurry and I saw stars. If I had passed out I would have been dead. The rest of the field would have swum right over me without a single care in the world. That's how vicious this is.


I got myself to the outside of the pack and slowed down as I felt such pain and incredible nausea. I was dizzy but I gave myself time to pull it together as I swam. I cruised the first loop and the second loop went much better. I swam 5 minutes slower than I typically did. But that was about to be the least of my problems.


As I exited the swim I continued to feel spacey, but that's normal in an Ironman swim. They stripped my wetsuit off and I barely remember the 1/4 mile run to the transition. I do remember having a hard time deciding on whether to wear sunglasses. It was pouring rain.


I hopped on my bike and I felt okay. I began to throw up at the first climb, but it didn't worry me. I was still able to take in my nutrition and salt and I felt like I was hitting my calorie goals.


The pain continued to worsen and vision changes began to occur. As I approached the 10K descent I was literally seeing 2 roads in front of me. Somehow I convinced myself my contacts were screwed up (denial)..... and I aimed for straight down the middle .


Throughout the first loop of the bike I was nauseous, had vision changes and occasionally vomited. I stayed under my power goals just to try to pull things together. Even with vomiting I kept my nutrition goals.


I rode through town and through the amazing crowd and I don't remember too much of it. I ascended Cascade hill and vomited again and started to see double..... again. As I was still trying to convince myself that it was my contacts I stopped at the aid station to try to shake my head and bring myself together.


The medical guy at the aid station came over and asked if I was okay. I told him I was. He asked me about my nutrition and I told him it was fine. I told him I had gotten hit in the head in the swim and was having a little trouble with vision. Then he asked me my race number.


In the Ironman your race number is to you, what your social security number is to you in college. You are defined by it. It is also written on each arm and each leg. And on your bib. I couldn't remember my bib number. But in all fairness before this race began I was having trouble remembering it.


He asked me my name and it took me too long to remember. The next thing I knew I was being strapped into a gurney and I watched my bike get loaded into the back of a truck. Someone screamed "Eggers" from the course.


Apparently there was a girl on a Cervelo like mine who crashed in the descent. Which was why people thought I had crashed.


The ambulance brought me to the med tent and I was questioned again about nutrition.


"I had 300 caloires an hour for three hours." I told them. "I had a 341 salt tablet every 15 minutes for three hours." They were impressed by this.


"Spell the word WORLD backwards." The doctor told me. One of my athletes, Kitima was also working as an MD. I looked at her.


Oh boy.


It took me quite a while to spell WORLD backwards.


She had me tough my finger to my nose then to her finger. I did it. She wanted me to do it faster. I couldn't.


My body temperature had dropped to 95 degrees. They packed me with saline. The pain in my head was so severe I wished they would have just cut my head off.


Now poor Curt wasn't quite sure of what was going on. The house we were staying at was on the run course which was completely closed to traffic. Even in an emergency. I refused to go to the hospital because I knew I'd have no way home. So he was pacing back and forth waiting, hearing some conflicting reports, knowing something was wrong based on my times..... finally Kitima got a hold of him.


Essentially that's where it ended. Here is my absolutely gorgeous finisher's photo:




Part of being an athlete is taking this kind of risk. I am still a four time Ironman finisher. I still own a sub eleven finishing time, which was truly my life long goal. I still have my medals. This would have been much worse if it was Ironman #1. In life we have disappointment and we have amazing achievements. I realize that making it to the starting line of 3 Ironmans in a year is amazing in itself.


Right now I will allow the disappointment to wash through me. I won't lie and say that the pain isn't great, it really really is. It hurts so very much. In a few days that will begin to subside. I have to allow myself to just experience the pain instead of avoiding it. Walk through the fire, you'll get to the other side.


I didn't sign up for 2009, and I am glad that I didn't. The Ironman will be here forever and I have had my run..... for now. I have this great big fitness base that I didn't blow yesterday by plugging through a race I shouldn't have.


My attention will return to the 70.3 distance for sure for 2009. I am not sure what's in store for the remainder of 2008. Part of me wants to hit August hard and rock out some good sprints in Sept. Part of me wants to shut down and run all fall long.


Part of me is so unsure.


I swam in Mirror Lake this morning. My neurologist friend evaluated me on Main Street in Lake Placid and said I was ok to swim and run. No biking for 2 weeks, as this is not my first concussion. I have been passing people on the street and forgetting their names. I am on a delay in my response to people. My husband won't let me drive the car.


When I was swimming I felt much better. Like the fog is lifting and the healing has begun. Life is going to go on. I have no desire to quit my sport and I am not all that pissed off.


There was a reason that what happened yesterday.... happened. I won't know it for a while but there will be a day when I say..... that's why.


I am so very touched by the amount of emails and phone calls that I have received. Thank you to Kevin and Kitima for taking care of me. Thanks to Rich, Melissa and everyone in the tent for hanging with me.

That you respect how important this is to me, and you allow me to have my grief.... is so heartwarming. One of the rays of sunlight in this is I feel so supported. And supported by people who understand my passion for what I do. Who don't discount this as just a race.


My yoga teacher Cyndi asked me if I could just allow myself to be human. That really stuck with me. I can. I can allow myself to be human. I can allow myself to stumble and I can allow myself to fall.


Because we get back up again.


So keep your eyes on the 2009 fashion line. The Mary Eggers swim helmet will be available at Interbike 2009. I am pretty sure I can get Lisa Bentley or Desiree Ficker to model it for me, or why not myself?


Because in the next 2 weeks if I do anything that causes me to hit my head again, and I god forbid sustain another concussion, I will have a serious problem. Then I will be wearing the swim helmet forever.


And if you are one of the first 200 people to order the Mary Eggers swim helmet, I will paint your name on it..... for free. If you are very lucky enough you will make the list for camp HTFU on Eggers' island and don't worry, with the sales of the swim helmet, your trip to camp will be on me.

18 comments:

kerrie said...

oh...i am so sorry. i know how much time and heart goes into preparing for these races and then to have something so random happen... i am glad though that you got medical attention before something potentially more serious could have happened out there on the course.
i know you'll be back!

Beth said...

Wow Mary - that is so scary. I can truly understand your disappointment. When you put so much into something, you certainly expect more in return. But your return will eventually come. Give yourself some time and then mount your comeback - comeback with a vengence!

Just glad to hear you are safe and okay though. And I will definitely buy one of your swim helmets. I think YOU should be the model! :)

PJ said...

I can't imagine how disappointing that must be. I'm really sorry to hear it but I am glad that you are okay!

-PJ (random tri blog reader).

P.S. My coach (John Hirsch)'s girlfriend, Amanda Braverman, crashed her Cervelo (P3 I think but don't quote me). She may have been the person some people had mistaken you for.

Marit C-L said...

Mary - you are incredibly brave - I knew something wasn't right when I saw your swim time, your T1 time, and the time of your first loop on the bike course. The worry that I had all day was nothing compared to what you went through.

Allow yourself to be sad, to mourn. It won't be easy - but in the end, there will be an understanding as to why/how/what did this happen for? You are in my thoughts... :)

I am just so grateful that you are okay...that you will be okay.

And a BIG THANK YOU to the folks on the course who took care of you! They did the right thing - and I'm so happy that you pulled over when you did!

We in Pensacola are ALL sending you good vibes! Enjoy the swimming and NO contact sports. And sign me up for a swim helmet while you're at it. :)

Pedergraham said...

Mary:
Sign me up for a swim helmet.

I think we should start a campaign so that we all wear the same color swim caps at IM. No offense to your male readers, but as a sub-60 minute female IM swimmer, I have always felt that I got a bit more brutalized during the swim b/c the people around me saw the color of my cap indicating that I was a girl.

I hope your head heals quickly and your heart and soul, too. You are one tuff lady, Mary.
-Danielle

wiley said...

If you give the swim helmet a flat top it could be used for headstands in yoga-multipurpose!!! Cover up the bad hair!!! Love ya yogi Mary!!!!Wishing you a speedy recovery for your head and heart!!!!

Jen said...

Mary...Sorry about your race. We are sending you good vibes from the arizona desert! Hang in there and heal...and put me down for a swim helmet :) Can you do custom paint to match my splish suit?

Danni said...

Mary, I am glad to hear you are on the mend, and that nothing more serious happened on the course.
Take your time and I am sure you will be back, better than ever!
Sending you all my good vibes.

Danni

PS: I LOVE your blog, and I find your approach to things to be extremely inspiring.

Damie said...

Mary,
I have heard of you from a friend Laura that says your blog is great! I am so sorry to hear that the day was a 180 from what you had planned. Let me be the first to say I will definitely order a helmet from you for my first IM this fall. After reading your post, I think I am more scared than ever! Like you said, you are IMx4 and much more. Good luck to you with the rest of your year.

Missy said...

Damn woman! Were you racing Lake Placid or playing in the Superbowl! I am so glad that you are an excellent swimmer and able to come back from those blows. I heard there were scuba divers under the water but who knows?
And here I was looking at your split thinking you had such an awesome swim time!

Wingman said...

I said all I needed to say in that e-mail to you; never forget this experience and let it fuel those desires for all those goals!

And you can't model the helmet because you don't brush your hair - like ever! :)

Brooke Myers said...

Hey Mary, keep your head up and try not to let this race get to ya. Like you said you are an Ironman finisher and a whole lot more than that.
Your life is important to a lot of people; I'm sure without a doubt they understand and are most likely thankful you did what you needed to do before it could have gotten worse.

You wont be out for that long and at least you still get to swim and run...Best of wishes to recovering and remember to just breathe!

Alili said...

I don't think I've ever posted on your blog, but I've been following your journey to Lake Placid and when I checked the results the stomach turned. I am so glad that you are doing okay--okay being completely relative.

Big hugs from Michigan.

Anonymous said...

I will say this...for someone suffering from a concussion, you sure have you head screwed on straight. FWIW, I did wonder about the swim split. Then I wondered what happened when looking for the bike finish. I am glad that you are somewhat coherent and it's not worse than it is. That medical guy who pulled you sure earned his keep that day. That was the right call.

little ol me said...

Mary, I found your post from Marit's blog. Your scary is just frightening. I'm so glad you made it out okay. And you have such a good attitude about the whole thing. I can't imagine how hard it is to go through all of that and then have to re-adjust some of your goals and even your lifestyle at least for the time being.

Take care of yourself and get well.

Anonymous said...

Did a quick search and found United States Patent US3979777 for a swim helmet. It seems like it would do the job in protecting your ears but the patent description and drawings don't mention the temple area or the back of the head.

I imagine if you were clever enough with dimples, ridges and whatnot you could also make it a "speed" helmet.

Bob Mitera said...

Hi Marry - I think you might want to contact race management and Jimmy R. from WTC to tell them about the unsportsmanlike conduct where you were lined up. It won't help you this year but it might make change for next year for someone else.

I am becoming very concerned with the lack of enforcement of rules and sportsmanship in too many races. This needs to stop.

The Lake Placid swim was the most violent in my 5 ironman races by far. (I played big time water polo - international level - and NCAA Div. I so that is quite a statement.)

I often joke; "I went to a street fight in the lake and an Ironman broke out."

Lastly, as a strong swimmer - I don't think it is ever appropriate to swim over someone. It is how someone would get killed. 3 seconds aren't worth that; even if there are REALLY slow people around me (which you aren't from what I hear and read) I would just swim around or move that person out of the way GENTLY but firmly.

Kudos to you for trying to get on with it on the bike and having the good sense to adjust your plan on race day.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Mark said...

Hi Mary. I'm the dork that rode up to you and asked if you were famous. Remember that? Anyway, I was very sad to hear about your concussion, and wanted to wish you a speedy recovery!