Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sizing Up

I know..... sometimes it is hard to believe just how pretty I really am!

It's always the plan to change my tubular tires the week before I depart for Lake Placid. I like to have them done by Wednesday so I can race on them at the Mini Mussel on Saturday, then things are all said -n- done by departure time.

Well, that's the plan.

I had my new tubular, purchased at the Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman a few months ago. For that race I used it as my spare with the intention to put it on the wheel for Placid. No problem. Then I was sure that a quick trip to the local bike shop would put me in touch with a second one. I have many spares but an Ironman requires new.... in my book.

Trip to the first bike shop.... no tubulars. Tufos.... but I am really picky about my tires. Call it superstitious but I like to use brands that have been around a while. It's just my uneducated opinion (not fact at all) that a company that specializes in tires and in tire adhesive is the way to go. Which is why I always glue on with Fast Tack 3mm adhesive. Nothing else.

Again I know this is not based in any scientific evidence. It's just the way I like it.

No tubulars in town. No Fast Tack in town. Yikes, I felt screwed.

A quick call to Jim Costello... who has been working with me for over 10 years.... an overnight delivery will give me 2 new tires, 2 new valve extenders and Fast Tack on Monday morning.

Why 2 tires? Oh, I was getting there.

Well I began to mount the tire. And right away something didn't look right. I stretched and stretched and then I reluctantly looked. Please don't tell me I am this dumb... I thought as I squinted. Yes, I am this dumb.

26 inch.

Which would be great if I still rode 650's. However I do not, if you do, drop me a line and I will send it to you for free. It's a Continental and it's never been used.

It's great that I rode with that as my spare at Gulf Coast. That would have helped me out a ton! Or what if I rode it as my spare at IMLP! Another braniac move!

Last night when I went to reglue the oldie.... I mounted, inflated and ssssssss...... the stem was broken. Hmmm.... good thing I am addressing this now. So I will be either riding a Zipp 404, Zipp Disc, Spinergy or worst case scenario.... my training wheel. God forbid!

And so it goes in the Land of Iron. The wrinkles we must Iron out (no pun intended) before the big day. The more things I find this and next week allows the potential for mishaps to decrease.

On the training front I successfully scrubbed off the tire tracks. On my 30 minute run on Thursday I had some 30 second pickups to R pace, which for me is 6:20-6:30 (only for 30 seconds ..... believe me I dream or running that pace in a 5K!) and I actually hit the paces feeling.... what's this feeling..... snappy? Wow, it's been a while since snappy has shown up. I wasn't expecting this till next week and this could be an oasis. So let's not count the chickens before they hatch.

It will be a hottie for the weekend, which will give way to the annual Adirondack Adventure I love so very much!

Until the other side of the finish line on Saturday.... have a terrific weekend!





1 comment:

Marit C-L said...

Hee hee hee - LOVE the ice bath shot! Fantastic! Dude - sorry about the tired. Good thing you didn't flat out at GCH. :)

I too am superstitious about tires - you are NOT the only ones. Continental's are great... enough said. :)

Hang in there... good vibes being sent your way ALL the time. :)